SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Experiment with Citrus Lemon, Lime & Kumquat in Virginia

dancinglemons
15 years ago

Hello all,

I am in Central Virginia (Zone 7).

I experimented with my Meyer Lemon, Kaffir Lime, Nagami Kumquat and Lime (?? variety) this year. I put all three trees outside on my open kitchen 'porch' the first of April. The porch is open to the elements with no roof or protection from the weather. I put the 4 trees back inside on 3 or 4 nights when the forecast was supposed to go below 38 degrees. What happened??

The ?? lime tree dropped about 50% leaves the first 2-3 days outside but now has new leaf growth (multiple leaves) where all dropped leaves were situated. The lime also has an abundance of flowers and about 20 limes. I have also had 10-12 limes just drop off into the container. This tree is growing in a 5 gallon pot with Miracle Grow Citrus potting mix. I purchased this tree 2 years ago.

The Meyer has purple flowers. Last year when I kept the Meyer inside until May 1 it had white flowers. The Meyer did not drop leaves when placed outside. There are about 10 actual baby lemons (still green) on the Meyer. Here again 5 gallon pot with MG Citrus potting mix. I have had this tree 3 years.

The Kumquat has done absolutely nothing. It is healthy but has no flowers and no new leaves. Another 5 gallon pot with MG Citrus potting mix. I purchased this tree in 2008.

The Kaffir Lime was purchased in December from e B a y and was a stick about 8 inches tall with only 6-7 leaves. After being outside for about 2 weeks it now has 2 branches with LOTS of leaves. It also lives in MG Citrus potting mix in a 1 gallon pot.

The reason I posted this info is that last year when I held my citrus inside until temps were guaranteed to be warm 24/7 I had poor growth and poor fruit production. Seems like these 3 trees like being outside even if the nighttime temps are in the low 40's and days might just barely hold at 60 degrees. Of course now we are in the 80's & 90's and the citrus should be very happy.

Cheers,

DL

Comment (1)