SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemonsu

Overpruned Meyer Lemon Tree Not Fruiting for over 1 Year

LemonSu
11 years ago

Hello All! This is my first post, and I want to thank you ahead of time for sharing your hard earned knowledge and expertise. I live in San Francisco, and have a meyer lemon tree in the back yard. I have lived here for 8 years and the tree was here when I moved in. It produced dozens of small lemons almost year round, was very happy and productive. Then I got too productive, and ignorantly over pruned the poor thing. In the winter. Double bad, I know now. The tree was in shock, then came back and has many new leaves. Even a few blossoms as of a couple months ago. It has been over a year since the overpruning, and there is still not a single lemon on the tree. We gave it a strong fertilizer on the advice of someone in the plant store a few months after I pruned it, since it was in shock. Then we read that we shouldn't feed it so that it grows leaves quickly, so we waited and it did indeed grow many green leaves quickly in the spring and summer. Over 6 months later (about a month ago), I gave it a natural fertilizer but have not noticed any more growth in leaves and no blossoms. The rose bush next to it is blooming away, which may be bc of the lemon tree or may be because the neighbors recently redid their garden just on the other side of the fence and are using chemicals fertilizers which is making everything grow and look great. Everything except the lemon tree.

I really appreciate your help. We love that tree and I feel so terrible for harming it.

Comments (6)