SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ndvnprt

Unripe fruit falling off dwarf Meyer lemon tree

ndvnprt
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
This is the first time IâÂÂve posted here. IâÂÂm not exactly a serious gardener--I just maintain a few vegetable and fruit plants in containers in my Baltimore row-home concrete âÂÂbackyardâÂÂ--but IâÂÂm happy to be part of an online community with so many knowledgeable and passionate people.

IâÂÂm writing for advice on my potted dwarf Meyer lemon tree. ItâÂÂs three years old but this is its first season with me. All but one of the unripe fruits has fallen off the tree. This might be a really basic question, but IâÂÂm not sure exactly whatâÂÂs going on and would appreciate some input from others with more experience.

A lot of small fruit fell off earlier in the growing season. The tree flowered and many of these flowers yielded tiny lemons, but most of these did not grow--instead they turned yellow and fell off. I was left with seven lemons which seemed to be staying on the tree and growing, but the same thing happened to four of these (the ones that were higher up on the tree) when they were about a half-inch or so in diameter--turning yellow and falling off the tree. I was left with three lemons on the tree. From what IâÂÂve seen in other threads on this forum, it sounds like this is normal.

What doesnâÂÂt strike me as normal is that two of the three remaining lemons fell off. They were 1 to 1ý inches long, and still green; the one thatâÂÂs still on the tree is a little bigger. IâÂÂve attached a photo with the two fallen lemons next to the one thatâÂÂs still on the tree for comparison. It doesnâÂÂt look like there was a clean break in either case--with the lemon on the left, part of the pedicel âÂÂbuttonâ broke from the tree, while with the right-hand lemon the entire button broke off stayed with the tree, and seems to have taken a bit of the lemonâÂÂs flesh with it. To me, it looks like this was more a result of gravity than the tree voluntarily giving up its fruit. Do I need to support my lemons in some way?

If anyone has any insight into how I can prevent the fruit from falling off the tree (or whether this is in fact a normal phenomenon that I donâÂÂt need to worry about), that would be great. I can post other photos, if that would be useful.

If itâÂÂs relevant, the tree has scales, which I think IâÂÂve been keeping fairly well under control with rubbing alcohol, applied using cotton balls.

Thanks, everyone!
-Nick

Comments (28)