SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirston

I've been in Charlotte 6 days...

Thirston
17 years ago

"Hi there, I'm new in town"

I moved up here (Charlotte, NC.) last Thursday from Orlando, FL. and I'd love any help you folks might provide.

I'll be reading through the 'Carolinas Gardening' forums a bit I'm sure but was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of some other resources.

Is there a local Agricultural Extension Office somewhere nearby that might provide me with some literature? I know the one in Orlando had all sorts of neat handouts and held plant sales a time or two a year. They would also help ID weeds, wild flowers, etc... anything like that around here?

How about Farmers Markets? Good Nurseries? I'm looking for things that might be in/near the city so I don't have to drive too far (I'm still unpacking so I don't have too much time to explore other regions yet).

How about local swaps? Clubs? Auctions? I've made it out to Stowe Botanical Gardens already, are there others worth checking out? I had a membership at the Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando and attended their annual sales and a few plant auctions.

What about local programming on T.V. that deals with native plants, or local gardening topics?

I'll be trying my hand at some hostas before too long so if there's a hosta club, that would be a help. How about Hoyas? I've got a small collection going and would love to find some fellow enthusiasts. Anyone here keep hoyas? I've also got some adenium, and plumeria I started from seed last year which unfortunately might have to go bye-bye seeing as I don't have a greenhouse available up here.

Any recommendations on a great NC. gardening book? I've got to learn about seeding grass, planting in clay, using pine straw, etc... these are things I didn't need to know about in Orlando.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might provide me. Please don't 'flame' me and tell me to 'read the forums and use the search function', I'll be doing that as well. I just wanted to take this time to say "Hello", introduce myself, and ask for a little help getting up and going in my new gardening environment.

Take care.

Comments (17)