SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jemsta

I've been a bad Vuyl mommy, but I'm willing to change!

jemsta
16 years ago

My first orchid, a Vuyl. Cambria 'Plush' seems to think I am a bad parent and it's probably right.

The problem is as follows - it is not getting enough water. The new pseudobulb that it spent about 6 months growing never swelled and today I saw a new growth emerging.

A little background on the plant:

When I bought it it was planted in a very soggy medium, but since I was new to orchids I was afraid to repot it. Within a few days the oldest PB began to turn yellow and rot - I tried to dry out the plant as much as I could and fortunately the problem did not spread. When it finished flowering, I finally repotted and discovered that the entire pre-exising root mass had rotted away, however there were a number of new root tips just peeking out from the new growth and the adjacent PB. I repotted in a fine grade bark/charcoal/perlite mix - at this point everything seemed to be peachy - the new growth got bigger and the roots were growing. Then at some point the roots stopped growing and started to look a little thinner and dryer. I was afraid to water too much because it didn't seem that the whole of the medium was drying out even through the topmost roots were. I watered approximately weekely and sprayed down the top of the medium every day. This continued throughout the entire summer, and I kept waiting for the new PB to swell up and get bigger, but it never did. The new growth is actually taller than the previous one, but it's almost paper thin. Now I'm afraid I'll completely kill the plant if I try to do this one more time. The two older PBs still look fairly plump so it's still got some gas left.

Growing conditions: Front row in front of large picture west facing picture window, gets direct sun after about 2pm until dark. Temperatures range from about 60-75 normally, however can get up to around 85 for fairly extended periods of time in the summer (this might be one of the problems).

I think I read a suggestion to put sphag on top of the medium to keep it more uniformly moist - do you think this would help? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~Jem

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH