SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aeslehc_gw

Meyer lemon tree losing leaves and fruit, Hawaii

Aeslehc
10 years ago

I have a 2 or 3 year old potted improved Meyer lemon tree that I've had for one year. It was pretty full with leaves and had one nice fruit forming. But I recently moved to a new apartment. Since the move, my Meyer lemon tree has been dropping its leaves until the tree is nearly bare, but it also has been producing many flowers and fruits. Although some of the fruits are turning yellow and falling off before they reach marble size.

I live in Hawaii, zone 12b. My tree is on the balcony facing east, it gets about 6-7 hours of morning sun and is shaded in the afternoon. Temperature and lighting wise, it is no different from where I lived before. The difference now is that I live in an urban area. I've noticed street grime collecting on the leaves and stems, especially after the rain. I've been wiping the leaves with a damp soft cloth to remove the grime. New leaves have started to come in, but it looks like some of those aren't doing so well either. None of my other plants seem as bothered by the move, including a potted clementine tangerine tree.

I also started watering more often, every 2 or 3 days, keeping in mind that soil in Hawaii heat dries out fast but I think that has done more harm than good. I will probably go back to watering 1-2 times a week. Should I repot and change the soil or fertilize?

This post was edited by Aeslehc on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 12:48

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living