SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbpj

Need help identifying an unknown navel type citrus tree

This tree was probably planted somewhere in the 1950's, as late as 1963 possibly. The previous owner said the tree next to it is a Washington Navel, this one I don't remember what he said, or if he even knew. He's long since passed on so I was hoping someone here could give me an idea of what it might be.

It ripens about 2 weeks before the Navel so in our area, south bay area, northern CA, near San Jose, that's about mid January or so. It is seedless, has a small navel, but not nearly as prominent as the Washington. It is a smaller tree by about 20% (both are standard) and the fruit tends to grow in small cluster. The thing that is the most different from the Washington is the shape of the fruit; it's very oval, not round, and most fruit have a neck. Peel is somewhat thick, easy to peel and has thicker white pith than the navel. Any ideas?

Unfortunately it also has what I think is phytophthora, as it has about 1/4 of the trunk with peeling bark going up and into the branches. However it's had this since at least the mid-1990's or before. Seems to live with it, it always tends to out grow that damage or grow new branches to replace any girdled ones. It is in a lawn, I know, bad, but
has been growing this way for at least 30 years or more. it's at the edge of the grass and I don't think the sprinklers actually hit the bark. They go on either every other day or every 3-4 days, depending on the weather, and usually off in winter.
Fertilized with either Green All citrus food or EB Stone citrus food, about 4 times during the warmer weather, no food in winter.

I tried to post more pics but somehow could only get one per post. OK, I put the rest at the link below, if you're interested;
Any guesses?

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown navel type citrus

This post was edited by BarbJP on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:28

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone