SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whiterhino_gw

Should I NOT be buying "older" trees?

whiteRhino
11 years ago

I've seen many times advice posted against buying trees, citrus in particular, from the big box stores. But where I'm located they seem to be the only place that stock larger, older trees. Our nurseries all charge an arm and a leg for what appear to be of the exact same origin (tags and all), and only carry tiny one or three gallon specimens. (Ok, in fairness they also have huge 15-30 gallon trees that they want $250-500 for, plus $70 delivery). I can literally buy what APPEARS to be a larger, older tree from Lowes for $18 than I can in the same container at the nursery for $40...

Assuming the trees I buy aren't terribly mangled or pruned, is there some other reason that I shouldn't be shopping at Lowes or Home Depot? I should add that I'm installing various trees as part of a landscape facelift with an eye to sell the house in 2 to 3 years, which is why I'm springing for older, larger specimens. An "orchard" full of 24" trees wouldn't be much of a selling point. Of course I'd also like to enjoy as much fruit as possible in the interim.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (14)