SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Navel Orange--Dwarf vs. Regular--Clay soil, too

kristimama
16 years ago

I have a corner of my lot that gets perfect South Western exposure and wonderful warm direct (but not scorching) sunlight year round. I'm thinking I'd like to plant an orange (vs. other citrus) because I've read that oranges do better in ground than pots. (See my other new post about dwarfs for a good chuckle.)

I have this vision of a lush, evergreen, round bushy orange tree loaded with oranges in the winter months. But after doing some research here at GW, I'm beginning to wonder if that's hard to achieve for a newbie like me.

What I'm wondering here is, for this SW corner, would there be a reason to use a dwarf Navel, or should I just plant a regular sized orange tree?

I'll admit, I have no idea how tall regular orange trees will grow. We used to have a lemon tree in the yard that was easily 12-14' tall and we never could get to all the fruit.) Yes, I realize the dwarf name implies they are compact, but the Four Winds label for their Navel says it grows to 8-10 feet at maturity. That seems fairly large to me, no?

I'm leaning towards a regular tree so I can maximize my fruit production, but do regular citrus trees have different challenges than dwarfs? Are they harder to manage?

For my area of the East Bay hills (Walnut Creek area), what's a good, hardy, lush tree with sweet, juicy oranges.

Since it would be my only orange, I'd be looking for a variety that has the longest harvest window and the best tasting oranges for peeling and eating--preferably seedless.

Also a question about prepping the soil:

We have fairly clay-ey soils to begin with, and spent the last year doing a lot of construction that further compacted the soils. I was already planning to till the soil with compost to make it more habitable for anything I want to plant again... but I saw a post here at GW that said by digging a hole in the clay you essentially create a trough that will drown the tree.

So can Oranges go right into clay soil? How deep do the roots go?

Thanks!

Comments (2)