SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redshirtcat

Clifton's Flower & Garden Center (buyplantsonline.com)

redshirtcat
13 years ago

This thread will document my citrus experience with this company. Hopefully I can also get some feedback on what to do.

I ordered 5 citrus trees from Clifton's Flower & Garden Center (buyplantsonline.com) on Jan 27th in 5 gallon pots:

Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree

Dwarf Bearss Lime Tree

Midknight Seedless Valencia Orange

Fisher Early Navel Orange (dwarf)

Clementine Mandarin by Monrovia Growers

The total with shipping to Missouri was a steep $485 ($130 in shipping). I know I paid a lot but I did some research and found they had an A+ BBB rating and 14/15 positive reviews at the Garden Watchdog. I also didn't see anything negative about them in this forum. I expected some lovely trees for my father and I to work with (we have a bunch already).

After placing my order I called back on Monday (before they shipped) and expressed concern about the weather during shipping - a big snow storm was coming and I wanted them to delay shipment. The shipping manager assured me that they had great success shipping in cold weather (due to their packing methods) and said that so long as I didn't let them sit outside all day they would be fine.

I met the FedEx guy outside when they arrived today and brought them inside immediately. There was *ice* on the trunk of every plant. 4 out of 5 of them had soil that was frozen solid. Those that did had large air pockets around the roots as well - the soil had shifted during shipment and then frozen in that shifted position exposing the roots. When I opened the packaging I also noted a *powerful* sweet citrusy smell - not orange blossom type of smell - the type that you smell when a tree has completely defoliated and the leaves are just starting to rot.

I immediately called and spoke to the nursery manager who assured me that they would make it right. First, however, they want me to wait a few months until Spring and see if the trees come back. He said that even if the trees completely defoliate they might still survive (most of the leaves were still in tact - not surprising since they were still frozen). He suggested that I put the trees in a relatively cool spot (in this case the garage and a chilly 40 degrees) for 8-10 hours and then move them into a more protected warmer spot (the basement at 65 degrees with fluorescent grow lights). He noted that I should water them with the coldest water possible so as not to "cook" the roots and to spray them with water to keep the humidity up. I am doing all of these things.

At this point I have a question for anyone following along: does this advice sound good? Sadly even if it is bad advice I will follow it so that they can't claim I didn't do what they suggested - but I'm wondering what the experts think.

Here is a picture of frost damage to citrus that I found online:
{{gwi:567630}}From Citrus Fiasco

Here are some pictures of my plants:

Ice on the trunk (difficult to photograph, this is cropped you can see the original in the web album)
{{gwi:567631}}From Citrus Fiasco

Frost damaged leaves? (again cropped, again the original is in the album)
{{gwi:567632}}From Citrus Fiasco

The plants have since thawed and the leaves on all of them are droopy and limp. The leaves on the clementine have all curled inward and look very very brittle.

I will take some more pictures tomorrow morning after they are in the more protected enviornment and under the flourescent grow lights.

Any suggestions are welcome. Is it even possible for these to come back? The soil was literally frozen solid - doesn't that mean these are done for? Even if they aren't completely dead will they not be so set back as to be basically worth 1/2 or 1/4 what they were originally?

I'm worried because I read online that it can take many months to determine the extent of frost damage so it is possible that come Spring they will still look ok and then die off anyway.

I'm not new to growing container citrus in Missouri - I have 2 10' tall container lemon trees and a bunch of smaller ones like persian lime, washington navel, etc... but this is the first time I've had to deal with a frozen plant.

I will post follow up pics periodically to track the course of the plants and (hopefully) to keep the nursery honest. The best outcome would be for the plants to survive and everyone to move on - but if they do not - or if they are crippled and valueless then I'd like there to be a record of it online somewhere.

Thanks for reading!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa album of the Citrus Fiasco

Comments (20)