SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nckvilledudes

Seedlings and Experiments

nckvilledudes
16 years ago

For several years now I have started some clematis from seed. The process can be fun and exasperating both at the same time since some clematis can take a while to germinate and then once they do germinate, they may sit there for a while and do nothing or succumb to damping off.

The traditional means of starting clematis from seed is well documented on Brian Collingwood's website, the link for which is as follows:

http://www.bcollingwood.com/

A synopsis of this method is that you pot the seeds up in a potting mix, wet the soil, sometimes a fungicide is applied to the soil, and the pot with soil is placed in a baggie and set aside in this minigreenhouse for however long it takes the seed to germinate. Sometimes you have to allow the pots to grow through a cold period followed by a warm period to get certain seeds to germinate. Periodic examinations of the bags is necessary to view when germinations occur. Once the seedling gets a few true leaves, it is lifted from the pot and potted up to grow on.

Another method that I have recently heard about and that is used by Kristl Walek of Gardens North is that instead of potting the seeds up in soil, you put them in a regular sandwich baggie with some slightly moistened vermiculite and then either keep the baggies warm in the house or put them in the crisper of your fridge. Which you do is dependent on the type of seed that you are planting since some require cold followed by warm to germinate, some require warmth, and others have to have warmth followed by cold, followed by warmth to germinate.

This year I am in the process of trying both methods with some modifications to both. In the traditional method, I have place potting soil in the pot, soaked the seeds overnight in warm water, and then layed them on top of the soil, and covered the seed with a couple of inches of vermiculite that is moistened. All my pots were placed into one large Ziplock bag (and I do mean large) and placed in the garage in November of 2007. So far no seeds have germinated in that measure.

Picture of Pots using traditional method with vermiculite covering the seed.

{{gwi:578134}}

Here is a shot of the big Ziplock bag I used with the pots in the bag.

{{gwi:578136}}

Only having one bag to open to periodically check on the seedlings is a big advantage to having to open 10 individual smaller bags. I also sometimes in the past have not gotten each bag resealed and realized it much later.

Here are some shots of some of the vermiculite in the baggie trials. These are some baggies that I have put in the fridge and planning on keeping them there for 6 weeks and then bringing them back out to warm temperatures.

{{gwi:578138}}

Here are some shots of two bags--one containing fusca and one containing a pink form of stans. These seeds supposedly require warm to germinate so I decided to place them on a heating mat traditionally used to start regular seedlings.

{{gwi:578140}}

I started a batch of seedlings earlier (11/03/07) using the baggie/vermiculite method and got some germinations early on-within a month or so. Here are those seedlings about a month after potting up.

{{gwi:575489}}

Two are definitely heracleifolias of some sort and the one on the far right might be an integrifolia.

Here are those same plants today along with some other seedlings that have come up recently and pricked out of the vermiculite and potted up. The heracleifolias have really taken off.

{{gwi:578143}}

The baggie vermiculite method works great in that it is much easier to give the seeds cold treatment since you can just throw the baggies in the refrigerator in the crisper. It would be much more difficult to have room for all the pots in the frig. For them I have to assume that my garage in the winter is the fridge equivalent for them-which is probably just fine. On the other hand, trying to prick out the small seedlings from the baggie of vermiculite can be tricky and I have potted up several small plants and had them die off once potted up. I must admit however that I am rather rough on my new seedlings. I try to start giving them as much direct sunshine as possible as soon as possible. If the temps are 40 degrees or higher, the pots go outside in the sun. For those colder days, they stay in the garage under a fluorescent shop light to simulate the sunshine.

Another issue with the baggie/vermiculite method is that it is hard to determine how much water to add to get the vermiculite moist and not too wet. Guess my trial and error method will have to do. Another issue is that I can only find horticultural grade vermiculite and think that something a little coarser might be better.

All this to say that growing clematis from seed can be fun and exasperating and worth a try for anyone who wants to give it a go. Some types of clematis germinate quickly and others take longer, so patience is a virtue you must have or cultivate if you want success. Still cultivating it here I must admit!!! LOL

For those who have asked, Mary Rose is still being a little too rambunctious a grower here and I have had to pinch the dickens out of her several time so that she stays in check. Here are two shots of her after her most recent pinch back.

{{gwi:578145}}

{{gwi:578147}}

Comments (19)