SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raphen_gw

Mature citrus trees not posting

raphen
11 years ago

My parents live in Palm Desert, CA and have had 2 Citrus trees planted in July 2003. One is a grapefruit tree and the other an orange and are supposedly dwarf trees. In 2007 (possibly) I planted a lime or meyer lemon (forget which now) that was in a container and from what I understood was already a few years old and had produced some small fruits even in the cold damp clime of coastal very northwestern California.

Throughout the years the trees have only produced a few fruit. One year the trees had whiteflies and was treated. I think they came about because I had sprayed them with water one hot summer day and then realized my mistake as I wathced the leaves get steam cooked. =(

I visit 3-4 times a year and will always go out and feed them. One year using doctor earth citrus dry mix. I also have fed them Dr Earth 3-3-3, liquid bonemeal, OG Grow 16-0-1(liquid) . They get miracle grow feed by dad every so often but want them to not use it. In November 2012 I mixed up a good feed; Microbe brew, root drench, compost tea, og grow and even a bit of kelp meal.

My dad is a bit of a heavy pruner. Have you every gone to get your hair cut for a trim and they practically buzz everything off? Yeah thats my dad's pruning style. So I told him this year DO NOT TOUCH IT! lol.

The leaves are discolored and the grapefruit has these odd reddish spots on some of the leaves. I don't see any leafminer damage or spider mite damage. No signs of aphids, caterpillars, or other bugs I am familiar with.

I haven't been here to see it but mom and dad say that every year there are flowers, sometimes a whole bunch! There are definitely enough citrus trees in the area for wind pollination. In fact the neighbor behind them has a hundred fruits on it and the neighbor to the sides have some. When the wind picks up the blossoms get all blown off. Why doesnt this happen to the neighbors? I suggested a harvest net put over the trees during this time but is something that hasn't been done. I read somewhere that bloosoms wont stay on if there is P deficiency so that was the reasoning behind the liquid bonemeal. Maybe it wasnt put at the right time though.

Sorry for the lengthy description but I just want to get as much info out. Any suggestions on what to do? I will include plenty of pictures below.

Comments (10)