SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_tantrum

My first "first frost" in SoCal

garden_tantrum
11 years ago

Growing up in a tropical climate, we grew veggie seeds for agriculture class in elementary school year-round. This is my first attempt at a vegetable garden here in SoCal and thought since it never snows inland, nothing's gonna die of this so-called "first frost" my east coast friends talk about. I'm a total newbie at gardening where there are four seasons. I was a little sad when I went to go pick some basil to see it...well, dead-looking. Looked around some more and realized the tomatoes, eggplant and peppers are also at the same state... Dark green, almost black, nearly leafless. Morning glories are dead for sure, scarlet runner beans only older foliage was affected. Sweet potatoes, sunflowers, fireworks gomphrena and marigold were so dead there was hardly anything left where they used to be.

Thriving, however, are my irises, purple artichokes, German Chamomile, radish, dill and sugar snap peas. Some of the damaged plants I mentioned above(basil, peppers, tomatoes) still had some green leaves or some only the leaves look dead. Are any of these ever coming back from root stock? They are in my raised vegetable planters, some in pots. Or should I just pull them out and just start over in spring? If you've already experienced the frost this year, what did it kill in your garden? I started everything from seed, and I know it sounds crazy, but I will miss them.

- Isabel

Comments (13)