SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engrgirl

First Dahlia flower- after first frost! Can I improve next year?

engrgirl
8 years ago

I got three dahlia bulbs at a nursery late last March, labelled as "electric flash". I put them in soil in pots and gave them outside warm sun during the warm days but moved them in for the nights until early May after I was sure frost had passed. Planted them out in early May in the sunniest spot I have- sun from 8-3 most of the year.

I finally just got my first bloom ths week (last week in October), despite having light frost last week (this pocket may have stayed a bit warmer, protected by the house), and sleet on Wednesday. It's beautiful and I love it! Also have three other buds but I'm afraid they won't make it to bloom before winter hits.

My question is- Is there anything I could have done (or can do next year) to try to get these to bloom earlier? We're having a nice warm fall here, but in a cooler fall With typical frost dates, I don't think I would have gotten a single bloom.

I don't know if any of these affected the late bloom, but I figure I'll mention them:

- one of the three plants died mid-summer. Seemed to get brown foliage that withered away. This one is only 1.5 ft away from the other two that did fine, similar conditions and treatment

- Planted in soil that is quite sandy. "New" soil that i just brought in to make this slighty raised bed last spring.

- I didn't stake them up straight when I should have: They were probably 2-2.5 ft tall and with around a foot laying sideways and a bend with 1-1.5 ft tall vertically when I finally staked them. I gently bent the, more vertical and tied the, up, adjusting the ties a couple of times to gradually make them straighter but they still have around a 30 degree bend near the base.

- I did a general liquid 10-10-10 diluted fertilizer once in June, once in July. In late August and early September did some high P (5-25-5?) fertilizer around once a week for around 4 weeks.

- Or maybe this variety is just a late bloomer? With such a late bloom I'm tempted to not give them my prime sunny location again next year - If I move them to an area with less sun (4-6 hrs of somewhat dappled sun) and more wind (which could dry them out more) in a heavier soil - will they be better off or worse off?

thank you in advance for the help!

Comments (3)