SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fig_insanity

Weird weather...first frost a month late!

fig_insanity Z7b E TN
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've lived and gardened here in the same place since 1979, and I lived just 20 miles northeast of here before that. My average first frost date is OCTOBER 15. I've never known first frost to be as late as November the 19th. We finally got frost last night with a low of 29F here. Admittedly, some areas have had light frosts before now, but we've had nothing, nada, zilch, here.

Until this morning, I had impatiens still blooming their heads off. Impatiens die if you even MENTION frost where they can hear it, lol.

I have roses (not one, not two, but MANY) in full flush. My Le Vesuve looks like it's May. I have over 100 buds on Old Blush. There must be hundreds of buds showing color on my two Crepuscules. I can't believe the big, fat, voluptuous blooms on my Mrs B.R Cant. Kim Rupert's Lauren is fearlessly in full bloom. Well, I'm going to lose all those buds and blooms tonight when it reaches 24F :P

We've also been in the worst Autumn drought I can ever remember. According to the Nat Weather Service, this has been the driest Oct/Nov on record, as well as the hottest. We're surrounded by wildfires. We've had red, orange, and purple air quality alerts (purple? I didn't know until recently there was a purple alert! You don't want to have one, trust me!)

I'm sure the heat, drought and late frost are all connected, whether through La Nina or global warming. But my poor roses don't care about the cause, they're just confused, poor things.
May next year's weather be more kindly-affectioned toward our gardens. Amen.

John

Comments (3)