SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_

Effects from Weird Winter?

jonathan_
18 years ago

This winter in Central Texas was very abnormal. We had 80+ degree days in January, and much warmer than normal weather throughout. I had to run the heater no more than 25% of normal. It was also a very dry winter, broken by one or two heavy rains. We normally get double the amount of rainfall.

The only thing that was true to form this winter was the timing of the 2 frosts we have annually. One came early Nov., The second hit end of Jan/beginning of Feb. The Nov. was mild, and few plants were affected. The second one was harsh, lasted relatively long and came with a lot of wind.

The response to this very warm and dry winter was wildly different.

This weird weather really hit my big, old turkey fig tree hard.

First it was duped into leafing and making its first fruit crop in early Jan.

It was almost covered with small leaves and fruit. When th e usual late Jan/Feb frost set in.

The harshe frost killed all the new growth. That didn't surprise me.

What did surprise me was how much of the old wood also died.

Yesterday after making sure the wood was dead, I pruned off about 1/3 of the tree. The remaining branches with new growth, seem to still be in recovery mode. Since their growth is slow.

They dead branches were all on the South side of the tree. The old branches on the top and North side was unnaffected save for a bit of dried new growth.

One thing is certain, the usual first harvest of fruit is not going to happen.

I was wondering why the response to this frost was so dramatic?

What kind of changes are happening in a fig tree when it starts to leaf out that can make it so vulnerable to frost? A frost that it would survive easily in a dormant state?

The tree is way too big to cover with protection. (20ft tall, and the same wide)

What can I expect in the long term effects/problems can I expect if any.

Should I make extra efforts to protect it from insect pests?

Comments (3)