SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Are you seeing any effects from the drought?

californian
16 years ago

Just curious what effects other southern Californians are seeing from this years record drought in their neighborhoods. As I look out my window I can see a clump of Eucalyptus trees about 40 feet high on my neighbor's property are slowly dying, with about a third of the leaves turning red or brown, Another older clump of Eucs on another neighbor's property is still green, probably because it is much bigger and older and has a more extensive root system. The Chinese elms are holding up pretty good too. I see a young mulberry tree turning yellow too, but an older one is in better shape. The weeds in my yard even died in places where I don't water, which is one of the few blessings from the drought, together with less mosquitos and insects this year.

I am afraid that by next winter many trees and plants that aren't lucky enough to have someone watering them will be dead or severely weakened by this drought. If you want to keep a large tree alive you may have to use 400 to 600 gallons of water a week per tree during the really hot, dry weeks. I see people spraying maybe ten gallons at the base of the tree as if that will do any good.

Comments (15)