SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_tantrum

Rainy days & intro

garden_tantrum
11 years ago

What to do in the garden when it stops raining? It's been raining off and on here, I swear my vines grew half a foot, irises have new growth, roses are still blooming, seeds are sprouting happily. My clay soil is very manageable right now and I want to take advantage of the daily rain.
Forgive me for the stupid newbie questions, but is it okay to go ahead and plant my potted roses and echinacea seedlings in the ground at this time? Should I bother pulling out weeds or is that pointless? What's good to plant/sow during this time?

It's my first time posting here, but ever since I started gardening I've always been referred to this site by friends and google searches. You guys keep me inspired and on track with my gardening :)

A little about me. My name is Isabel. I'm originally from Southeast Asia. There were plenty of plants my mom and I weren't able to make survive in our humid tropical climate, but we had hanging canopies of orchids, some growing on the wall, anthuriums we almost never water but bloomed all the time. I came to Southern California in my late teens and didn't get back to gardening until my grandmother passed away and left me her house in with a cottage garden. Stupid me rented it out to random people for 5yrs while i finished college. Everything died. I saved her roses and Meyer lemon tree, but it was too late for the rest. I'm glad I live in this part of the country where it doesn't snow, but frost dates and zone hardiness still intimidate me. I'm rebuilding my grandma's garden little by little in her memory. My username here is borne from the violent reaction I had when I moved back into that house and found everything brown and crunchy. Ack.

Here's a photo of my grandma's red roses(I don't know what kind they are, they're 20yrs old) and cosmos I grew from seed that I thought was the yellow kind. They make me smile on gloomy days :)

Comments (11)