SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Meyer Lemon scorched - will it survive?

cfox248
10 years ago

Hey!

So, I've got myself a lovely Dwarf improved meyer lemon this last summer. It did great outside in the blazing sun of the porch. Come winter, it was brought inside and placed in a sunny windowsill with a grow light hanging overhead. It was doing very well and even offered to bloom new fruit.

Over break here at school, it was brought home. There is no sunny windowsills, so it sat near a window and had its grow light. Come to bump it one day and half the leaves fell off! After googling, it looked like it was a case of the roots being too cold and the leaves being too warm (or maybe I have that backwards...) so for the last day at home, I moved him to the floor near the heater and put the grow light on. Seemed to be doing better.

Once back at school, I put him in his favorite sunny windowsill with his light. This was late last night. This morning, I turned the light on. And right now, in the afternoon, I look and I see what look like scorch spots all over the leaves! They're mottled brown, and some are curling up and shriveling and dying. It was my own fault for not acclimating it, I assumed it would be happy to return to a warm sunny sill from the sunless window at home but I didn't think to do it slowly.

Now, it's near a window that's got less direct light. Still has the grow light on, since it's cooler light (it's fluorescent). But after half the leaves fell off just a few days ago, I'm worried all the leaves are going to fall off and I'll be left with a bare tree. Will it die then, with no leaves?

It's got three healthy little lemons hanging on it I might cut off to give it a better chance. Here is a few pics - the spots are recessed and dry. The worse of them are curling up and falling off. It was fine this morning, no spots whatsoever, then the sun came up and BAM. This happens! Please tell me there's hope for it yet!

Link to album of pics below:
http://imgur.com/a/GrOcZ

Here is a link that might be useful: Scorched tree pics

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting