SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doginthegarden

Thistle eradication?

doginthegarden
14 years ago

I have a side yard that is full of Russian Thistle that is just coming up, about 2"-4" tall, thousands of little plants. Even at that size they are already unpleasant to handle, my husband didn't believe they were all thistle until he'd sniffed one and gotten nettle dust in his nose and on his hands. The yard was covered in them when we bought the place earlier this year, it was no fun to pull out adult plants (and the borrowed goats didn't even like them much). I was really sorry to see how widely they have seeded and sprouted.

I want to remove the whole patch before they grow up to be big Thistles, preferably without using poison. I'm thinking I'll dig the ground up root-deep, and them rake or shovel them into the green bin, and try to save what dirt I can. I thought I would ask the wisdom of the list if this is a good plan, or any suggestions?

I know thistle is edible and am sure I'll find some around the yard come spring to try.....but I want to get this mass of them out now while they are small.

thanks! Shannon

Comments (15)