SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

UC Riverside Citrus Day!

How fun! Just got back from the UC Riverside Citrus Day tour. I didn't get to spend much time there to listen to speakers - should have left earlier. I will suggest to some of the organizers for next year to have their speaking and presentation schedule clearly listed, so I don't miss some of the really esteemed speakers that were there this year, and hopefully next year. Got to do some really cool taste-testing, here were some of the highlights:

1. Seedless Kishu mandarin: Wowie. If you're looking for an incredibly sweet and very early mandarin, this is it. It is very small, diminuitive, but it has every perk for a dooryard tree - easy to peel, completely seedless, and very high brix (In the mid-twenties, but great acid to sugar ratio). Will be picking one of these up tomorrow at my local nursery. This will be my early mandarin. Tops Xie Shan.

2. Ugli tangelo - Skip it. You really need to grow this in Jamaica to get it to taste even remotely decent. Ick. Doubtful even in the warmest parts of Florida, it's flavor must be dependent on soil conditions as well as climate. And neither of those things exist in my area.

3. Valtentine Pummelo - Was too early, but you could tell it was going to be yummy. Glad I planted it. Excited to pick mine in about a month.

3. USDA 88-2 mandarin - Recently released, and if you can find it, well worth adding to your collection. Seedless or nearly. Has a very complex and well-rounded flavor along with near-perfect acid to sugar ratio. Well done. It was technically past-season, but they obviously stay very well on the tree. Looked a wee bit baggy, which sometimes bodes insipit or icky flavor, but not for this mandarin. It's a cross between a Lee and a Nova (Nova's are excellent, btw). If I didn't have a Nova, this would be in my citrus collection for sure.

4. Gold Nugget - great, sweet, easy to peel, prolific, but not complex. Just sweet and juicy. Kind of straightforward, but worth having. I have one, so glad it's in my collection.

5. Navelina Navel orange - Interesting. Higher acid to sugar ratio than what most of us here in the US would expect from a navel (as we often eat our Washington's or Late Lanes too late, so they're actually starting to get rather insipid, especially if they're store-bought). This was much more sprightly. But very refreshing. Very tender pulp and membranes. Tiny, almost non-existent navel, and extremely prolific tree, the tree was just covered with lovely, perfect medium-small navel oranges. I'm pretty sure this is the navel orange my neighbor loved in Majorca.

6. Dekopan: Yup. Got to taste it, and it's just a fraction early for the Dekopan. You're not going to want to hear this, but it must be said - this was the best tasting, best all around mandarin I tasted. Everyone in my group said so. Our guide didn't say anything (she asked if anyone knew what a Dekopan was. She saw my eyes get really big, and then she put her finger to her lips). Everyone got to taste it, and then she asked for comments. Everyone loved it and agreed it was by far the best of all the mandarins we had tasted, it is very unique. Definitely gonna buy several cases when they hit the stores to try to find a seed. I have a seedling that is struggling from last season that probably won't make it. I'm going to try a LOT harder this year for sure. Won't see this variety available for at least 3 years in tree-form. And, it is nearly seedless, so getting a seed is rare, but I hope to get one again this year.

And, lastly, I encourage all of you in California to consider supporting the UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection. They are trying to get it fully endowed, so there is never a chance that future budget cuts in the UC system could never jeopardize the existence of such a valuable resource to the citrus community.

Patty S.

Comments (16)