SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

citrus educational & other resources

cebury
14 years ago

In replying to a post I compiled a few bookmarks to sites I've used to research citrus information. Hopefully these links will be of use to some and I'd like to hear from you about sources you use -- even if it's specific to your area or climate. What are your favorite citrus (container or in-ground) books, websites, anything....

I'm cutting and pasting from the other post and adding more from my old bookmark links, so forgive me if it's not pretty.

Preface

There is some great reading material, albeit somewhat technical and many times focused on commercial growers, put out from University Extension centers (especially FL and CA).

I'm glad to find technical material from these centers because it seems like recent printed citrus books/guides found in stores or the local library are nearly identical in topic and the cursory style that is suited for the masses. But with extension technical material also comes a need for background knowledge and critical thinking particularly when evaluations and recommendations are made -- obviously due to dissimilarities between their environment and yours/mine. Regardless, the university extension resources helped me tremendously as I hope they can others, too.

Links to Educational Sites

Besides Gardenweb (snicker), here are some of the online sources I've used to educate myself on citrus.

The Univ. of California Free Publications website is nice.

And the individual UC shools have their own sites that contain some unique (and many duplicate) articles (UC Riverside and Davis are big into citrus).

The UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection is a great site that is attempting to house all citrus variety technical information; it's listing is un-paralleled and the major varieties are complete, but many varieties are lacking details.

The UC Davis Fruit & Nut Research Center more specifically I started out reading their Citrus for Home Orchard and use the Pest Management site quite a bit.

Florida's Univ. of Florida IFAS Extension Site or go directly to their bulletins and the Florida Citrus Resources Links

The Texas Agriculture Extension Service is here but I know I've seen more than this.

The Arizona Cooperative Extension has a small Home & Garden Citrus Management section.

I know we have some Minnesota users so I laugh but include this Univ. of Minn Extension I could find one lone article on citrus: Growing Citrus Indoors in Minnesota

An Interesting Commercial and Resource Site

The Ultimate Citrus.com is a shameless commercial site but has a very interesting and diverse collection of resources. Including books, news, fruit gifts, weather, Home Grower and much more.

I will also point out the CA-TX-AZ-LA section which has a compilation of the major citrus growers and shippers for these states.

Were these helpful? How about sharing your resources?

Comment (1)