SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chandu_gw

Using a Laundry Basket for Overwintering Dormant Brugs

chandu
18 years ago

This is my 2nd year of being blessed with CGs. I started out with 3 plants last year. Today (after giving away 21 potted cuttings to friends and neighbors) I have 9! 3 trees and rest are big bush type. All of them are planted outdoors and have been flowering profusely. This year I am going to try and "pot" my trees along with the rootball. TNGreenthumb has mentioned his enormous success with planting and overwintering "brug-bucket and all in the ground", and then digging it up for over wintering under dormant conditions. I find this very attaractive (last year I tried "buket-o-brugs" w/o aerators -I cheated by adding a pinch of expired antibacterial and anti fungal antibiotics to the bucket.....worked like a charm.....no mushy roots, no dead cuttings. There was some algal growth -no biggie).

This fall (just around the corner) I plan to use the 1 bushel capacity "sterlite laundry basket" (www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Household&ProductCategory=53). I was looking for suitable containers (sturdy, cheap and managable) and this looks OK (94 cents @ Wally World). Finally I will have to convince dear W that it would be OK to store big trees in the garage.

At least on paper this has worked out. I'm open for suggestions and improvements. This is a fantastic forum.

Comments (8)