SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

What do I do with my brugs in after winter?

lovetogrowflowers
14 years ago

This is my first year overwintering brugs. I am sure they will die. I have one in ground, mulched really well. It died back but still has have sticks poking up out of the ground. The other two in pots I have watered once a month in our utility room. They seem to be doing well. No leaves or anything, but they don't look dead.

It has been really cold here in Georgia this winter. Some of the stems on the two in the utility room are soft at the tips. I guess from cold, but it's pretty warm in there, well not warm, but cool enough for them to go dormant I believe. What about the soft tips? The trunk and branches are still hard, just the tips are soft. What is that?

The other 3 are cuttings. I haven't done so well with them. My fault though. I put them in my bedroom which I keep cold, but thought would be warm enough for them to be okay. Not so sure. I've watered them also, very little and basically not much light either. Maybe they are dormant as well, since the room is so cold. Who knows?

So, I believe that in April, maybe first of May I should be getting these babies ready to go outside. I'm even going to plant the cuttings and see how they do. Maybe they'll spring back to life.

The two bigger ones in the utility room I plan to put in the ground this spring. I've noticed people in my area left theirs out all winter and mulched.

So, what is the process of getting these brugs ready for outside in spring? Please be as detailed as possible as I am very forgetful and will save the post so I can remember.

Is it a gradual process? Do I just stick them in the ground when it warms up. When do I start fertilizing and watering more often?

Any tips you have please pass along to this newbie.

Thanks so very much.

Comments (4)