SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandysseeds007

How to overwinter branches without rooting...more...

sandysseeds007
14 years ago

A slide show you're going to love...definately new news.

I can't slow the show down so...put your mouse cursor over picture and choose the middle button to stop picture- and click click to get to the next one.

Take note that the 2/3 of my brugs are hardy but the third, albeit a pure white, also did just as well.

Also take note that you get a much bigger plant in the 2nd and following years by pruning and storing them in a pot and it's the second and subsequent year(s) you'll be the happiest with your brug(s). Charlie grows really big in it's first year if well rooted before spring and put into a very sunny spot as I'm sure others do.

Don't laugh at my big hardy Charlie in a diper...diper bought at buck store. Wrap up tightly, as little air as possible, will help thwart mold or mildew and check weekly in spring when it warms up. I used neem oil/water/drop of soap to kill some mold in the spring

- the plant is fine as you can see. I'll probably spray the plastic down (where the mold was) with some oil this year before the plants are wrapped up.

Water Crystals were used in all my brugs this year, in the dirt as well as for rooting cuttings. They did really good, especially the one's outside considering the small space I gave for their roots. I strongly recommend. Keep in mind that the crystals won't last the winter 'outside' if it freezes in your zone.

The 5 months of successful winter storing of brug branches was tested using Debbie Meyer Vegetable and Fruit bags at the same temperatures we store our bigger brugs in. Approx. 40F

Hope you're all going to send me a brug cutting...lol

Enjoy the slide show and have a pen handy - Sandy

PS. Sorry for the first blurry 5glln pot picture...that's my picture, not your monitor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's to a million more brugs.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022