SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

What do you think of this folks?

nannerbelle
15 years ago

I was outside a lot over the last couple of days and noticed in my beds I put in last year that I may have taken some winter damage to some of the plants I put in last year. I constructed my beds flat with no border around part of the house. My roses have started to put new growth on, Musa Basjoo bananas are coming right out and my oriental Lilly's are coming right up! My gardenias did take a bit of a hit and has some foliage damage but are looking pretty good so far. I have a couple of hardy Hibiscus that looks wasted right now. Also my Jacks Giant and Black Magic EE's haven't peeked one bit up. And I have one Orcorina (Sp) banana that has made no sign of recovery. Now I love tropicalesqe type landscaping and one of my goals is to try to keep things a little unusual and more tropical. I did try to protect more with extra mulch but it looks like I may have lost the dice toss on some of these this winter. So I'm thinking about the bed design. The borderless beds are beautiful and I love them. But my mulch is washing some too as we have had some pretty severe storms so far and I know we get them here as a rule in the summer. So I'm thinking of installing a border and some rebar to be able to put up hoops over selected beds in the fall. That way I can concentrate the more tender plants into select beds and cover them with single digit temps in the winter. What do you think of this idea? Do you think it may be enough to save some tenders? Everything I had that is looking iffy right now was rated to Zone 8 hardiness and I know that this was a bad year for newly planted. Thoughts??

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets