SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michele714_gw

Rattlesnake!! Help me feel safe again..

michele714
16 years ago

The scary guy is gone (thanks, Animal Control) but now I live in fear. I know that a bite is statistically rare, snakes are beneficial predators, etc, etc. But I have 2 small kids that play in the yard. It must be snake-free, at least poisonous snake-free. Snakes can have the entire canyon behind our hill but this little 1/2 acre is MINE

So, what's my game plan? I've been researching and it seems like I should get rid of their food source (all the field mice/rats/rabbits that we have from the wilderness area behind our home) but what's the best way to do that? They have no trouble getting through and around our open rail fencing even after we tried chicken wire on the lower portion. Also, snake repellents are sold but of dubious effectiveness? Snake-A-Way is not even sold in CA and the more enviro-friendly products seem to work by scent. With the fierce winds & automatic sprinklers washing off product every other day, these probably would have to be re-applied constantly to do anything? Anyone tried those ultrasonic ground pulse-emitting products like mole chaser or sentinel snake repeller? Should we just move????? Kidding! But my gardening joy is totally gone and I have not even put the trash out since my snake sighting. If you can help me, please do!

Comments (16)