SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catspaws25

Help me love my small house again!

SeviersZoo
6 years ago

First of all, apologies for the lengthy post! I am feeling unsure and stuck on what to do design wise for our 1952 ranch house (1500 sq foot main floor). When I bought it with my husband 11 years ago, it felt right. I fell in love with the brick exterior and have the ability to keep my horse on the property.

However, not long after the purchase, we added two boys to the family. That along with our friends, their friends, and their families, our place now feels small and cramped. I find myself not wanting to invite people because it feels uncomfortable with many people in the small space.

Walking in from the front door, you are in an area made into a foyer with the living room to your right and hallway to the bedrooms to the left. There was a cabinet where you see the plywood on the floor. That was a pain to walk around to get to the side door and the flow is much better now without it. You can see the refrigerator down the hall in the kitchen which bothers me a lot. The entire living room, kitchen, and dining room space is around 750 sqft. There is no family room. The side door goes to the patio area for the garage. There is another back door to the left of the refrigerator which we do not use currently.

I am an introvert so the living room does not feel restful for me. The beautiful windows take up the entire wall and allow no privacy from the street. I thought I would use the basement space for our family room but I am finding the basement not as comfortable as well. Too cold and too far removed from the kitchen (perhaps this is a weird reason for some of you-ha). I often find myself wishing that we have a family room in the back of the house or at least the living room was placed in the back. I have thought about adding on to the house but it will mean $$$ and less yard on our narrow property.

So we thought about trying to open up the living space to see if it'll help. Opening up the walls and vaulting the ceilings are two major things that we think will help (please correct me if I am wrong!). We want to remove the walls around the stairs to the basement and the wall dividing the dining room and living room. We thought about completely removing the wall between the kitchen and living room but as an introvert, that would be a mistake! We would like to leave some of the wall up to hide the refrigerator (moved out of sight of the front door) and to provide some privacy.

We hope to add a deck in phase 2 so we will use the back door more after that. We will move the washer and dryer to the basement (it was already upstairs when we moved in. I love this convenience and will be sad having to go to the basement to wash clothes but we do need the space!). The pantry will be moved to where the washer/dryer is now. I didn't like the idea of the breakfast bar being right next to the dining area as it felt redundant so we put a smaller bar on the opposite side. We will replace the round dining table with a smaller rectangle one that can be extended. We would like to move the TV to the center of the wall between the side door and fireplace (in the space where the wall to be removed is now). With this placement, people in the dining room, kitchen and living room would be able to see the TV. We hope to cover the TV with a cabinet or frame so itll look like an art and not be a big imposing thing on the wall. This placement of TV will allow an L shaped couch with a chaise to be placed on the window wall. Doing this will open up the area between the kitchen wall and couch and create a hallway feel. Right now it feels intrusive to get to the dining room through the living room. I want to get a good flow from the front door to the side-door, bedrooms, basement, and backdoor. Creating a defined hallway in the living room might encourage people to walk into the living room and not go through the kitchen from the side-door.

Next design idea would be vaulting the ceiling. We have an 8 foot tall ceiling throughout the house. There is a beam running across the house in the center which is around 6 and half feet from the floor. There is a fake beam in the foyer area which is used to define the space. I feel that these are making the small area feel much smaller so we would like to vault the entire space. We hired a design consultant for 3 hours to run our layout and ideas by her. One of the things brought up was the TV. It will not be centered along the east wall and vaulting the ceiling might make it look off. Even if we do not vault the ceiling, leaving the beam there will make the tv placement look funny. She suggested to make the top of the vault flat as you can see in the pictures. I tried to find real life examples of this kind of ceiling over several rooms and not just the living room. I couldn't find any so I am feeling unconfident with this idea. What do you think of the flat ceiling at the top with sloped ceilings on the side?

We are thinking of refacing the fireplace by removing the bricks and the bumper (??) in front of fireplace to gain some space in the room. We are thinking about putting a hidden office desk in the corner where the TV is now. Another thing I am unsure of is the foyer area. I do like having the transition area from the front door and having a flow to all rooms. I am worried that vaulting the room will lose that feeling from the front door without a defined area. Any thoughts on that?

Someday, perhaps in phase 3, we might close off the patio area outside between the garage and side-door and create a mudroom/sitting room. I am hoping that this area would be the place where I can "get away" with a comfy chair and electric fireplace. That area would keep the shoes/coats/bags out of the dining room for a less clutter look.

Lastly, we found out that we have asbestos in one of the walls so we are assuming that we have them in other walls and ceiling. This will be costly to abate in addition to the vault work. We are working with a contractor and already had an engineer take a look. We had an insulation company take a look and gave us an estimate to remove the existing insulation and to spray on the ceiling foam. Once again the estimate was $$$. So we are starting to doubt the ideas of removing walls and vaulting the ceiling and yet, making no change will result in me not enjoying the house. We are willing to bite the bullet but need assurance that what we plan to do is not too much for the house or will be a waste of money. We are open to other ideas so please feel free to share.

Finally, the pictures of area now and of the design.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZUyFJjfYbvB3xgFq7

Pictures

Thank you so much if you made it this far! :)

Kathy

PS My husband created the renderings and layout using a free 3-D program online.

PSS If you notice, there are drawings with and without the half-wall. Ignore the half-wall ones as we think the countertop with shelves looked better.

PSS Ignore the furniture type, since 3D program is free, we were limited in what we could add to the design. We are hoping for a rustic modern feel. We want light colored floor for sure. We do not know what color the walls should be..maybe just light gray with dark gray on the tall kitchen wall? Suggestions are welcome!

Comments (32)