SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamski_gw

Need som expert advice

adamski
16 years ago

Hi! IÂve been trying to grow my venus fly traps now for a few years and I hope IÂve learnt all the mistakes  to be made now.

I have in my plant collection, 2 old venus fly traps (small miss-shaped plants), 4 new venus fly traps, (2 large and 2 small all seemingly healthy), 2 small Albany pitchers (given by a friend), and 1 english sundew (grew from seed this spring).

I live in a small flat and have only 1 windowsill usable that gets some sunlight but only direct sunlight for 5 hours a day on a sunny summers day.

{{gwi:564381}}

new aquarium setup

{{gwi:564383}}

air flow gap (5mm)

{{gwi:564385}}

albany pitchers

{{gwi:564386}}

2 old (unhealthy) venus fly traps

{{gwi:564387}}

english sundew (from seed)

{{gwi:564388}}

new (from shop) venu fly traps

{{gwi:564390}}

currently housed in round fish tank

{{gwi:564392}}

new trap with little reddening of the trap

What I have decided to do is create an aquarium to home my plants, I have purchased a tank and made a platform for it to sit on (upside own) so that some air can flow inside, a 400w Hydroponic reflector, ballast, and it came with a 250w high pressure sodium lamp.

I know the dormancy period is nearing and need to get advice as to what you all think I should do.

Without advice I would setup the aquarium but purchase a much lower wattage grolux lamp (as recommended in a book I read), set the timer to give 5 hours a day until October, were I would just leave them damp and placed in an poorly lit place until feb-march were I would re introduce the lamp starting at 4-5 hours a day going to 12-14 hours a day during growing period.

Would this be the right way of going about this or do i wait till next year before introducing the lamp? Also will all my other plants befit form the same light source, and is the high pressure sodium lamp useless for what I am doing? If there are any hydroponic experts out there please let me know if I require a distance from light source to plants as my research suggest that other plants need this but I canÂt find anything relating to carnivorous/venus fly trap plants.

Final line of questioning is, whatÂs the difference between potting my venus fly traps in sphagnum moss (which I currently have), and sphagnum moss peat?

Thanks for all your time and help (in advance)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting