SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucia_ca

bareroot fruit trees.....4 trees in 1 hole?

lucia_ca
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to my nursery publishing its bareroot fruit tree list this November and am planning more-or-less what I'll want to order and where I'll want to plant it.

This year, however, I want to plant 4 (yes, four) bareroot trees in 1 (yes, one) hole...like a website suggests.

Am I crazy to do this? Have you done this or have any experience and/or stories to share regarding planting 4 bareroots of the same fruit, but differing varieties, in one hole?

I've tried the 3-in-1, 4-in-1 trees and, for example, my plum has degenerated into having only one variety's limbs survive and at this point, I can't really tell what the name of the variety is. All the other limbs have either torn off or have become non-producing..... It looks like one variety sort of "won out" and now even that doesn't produce much. Got a whopping 10 plums this year.....maybe because it needs the other varieties around to fruit well?

So I think I'll have better long lasting luck with separate trees for different varieties...but need to save square feet space, so am thinking of the one-hole idea.... I'm just not sure how far apart to plant the 4 bareroots and do the 4 trunks eventually meld into 1 big happy gorgeous mess of a fruiting tree?

comments!?

thanks,

lucia_ca in coco county

Comments (9)