SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

I should have been paying more attention

caterwallin
16 years ago

to the forum, but I've been so busy with the Monarchs that I haven't had time to read a lot on here. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to raising anything besides Monarchs, but now I have to know what to do because I have Black Swallowtail cats. Yippee!! They're eating my rue and right now I have them on potted rue that's sitting in a big storage container with a screen on top. Are these like Monarchs and they will climb up and pupate on the screen? I thought I'd ask because I don't know if I should put anything else in with them besides the plants that they're eating. Also, do they eat about as long as a Monarch, say 9-12 days or so and then pupate? Is it best that I leave them outside on our back porch, which is where they are at right now? It's kind of late in the year, so will they emerge as butterflies this year yet or will they overwinter? I know I should keep them outside somewhere over the winter if that's the case; otherwise they'd emerge and there'd be nothing for them to eat.

Cathy

Comments (16)

Sponsored