SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Moth Questions

caterwallin
12 years ago

I guess I should have been paying more attention when people were talking about moths! I have questions about raising them because I found one I'd like to see what comes out of the pupa/cocoon. When weeding I found this real big one (not sure what to call it...I know for butterflies it's pupa or chrysalis). I always thought a cocoon was the kind of hard "shell" that used to be shown to us is grade school and that would rattle when shaken. Anyway, I'm not sure what to call this one because it's more like a pupa to me as I know butterfly pupas because this "thing" wiggles. I think it's brown or reddish brown, but I'd have to uncover it again to see exactly which. I also think that it's about 2" long. Whatever, it's the longest that I've ever uncovered while digging with my trowel, the others all being about 1" long.

For now I've put the future moth (FM) in a small plastic container and covered it back up with ground because I wasn't really sure how to keep it. I've seen people mention about putting shredded paper towels/tissues in a container so their moth cats could burrow down into them, but I wasn't sure if that was okay to do since it had already been underground. I wasn't sure if:

1. it had to stay in ground

2. it could be put under shredded towels/tissues instead

3. it would even have to be covered with anything at all

Since FM is bigger than any I've seen here before, I really would like to keep it inside until it emerges and see what it is and then I'll release it. Since I assume that it's going to turn out to be a big moth, I really don't think that I want to attempt to raise any future generations since I suppose they require much attention with feeding and cleaning (with my lack of time this year, I don't feel I can devote enough time to things like I had in previous years, for this year anyway).

I have to figure out some better setup for FM because it isn't going to have much room to spread its wings when it comes out, and it will also need a place to climb up to. Right now it's in a small thing that I just grabbed because I was so beside myself when I found this monster. lol Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I'm so a novice when it comes to moths!

Cathy

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH