SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tofustud

Toxic soil in Hollywood?

13 years ago

I live in a multi-unit complex in Hollywood, and I have a sprawling vegetable garden on the south side of the building. In the courtyard, where I don't spend too much time, there is a magnolia tree that is seriously hurting. I just learned in the other Magnolia Tree thread about the hard water in SoCal not being good, but what I'm noticing must be a disease for the last 3 summers at least.

I have little control over protecting the gardening areas from dust and dirt coming off the parking lot and driveway, or the drain pipes that wash dirty LA rainwater off the roof of the building. There's tons of rocky pebbles and ashy sand and street dirt that mixes in with my soil, and this is beyond my control.

The tree blooms at random times of the year, and the leaves come in, but soon after, they all turn yellow with dried flecks and spotty looking junk all over them. Additionally, there is furry mildew on a lot of the outer leaves. Trees aren't my thing, but not even the gardener is taking care of this disease. Does it sound familiar? Is it easy to treat? I'm seeing a similar brown spotting on almost all of my other plants and vegetables and I have for many years now, so I'm wondering what this might sound like to any of you, and if this is a soil issue, and how to cure it?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions. This is my first posting here, I'm liking this website a lot!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting