SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19699346

Immature Buds Shriveling Off Frosty Pink

10 years ago

Morning all. Pardon the long-winded explanation below but I wanted to include as much info as possible in the hopes some kind soul on here can help me figure out what's going on with my beloved Brug.

My 5 ft Brug bloomed beautifully last year. This year though has been a rough one. This spring I had to prune back almost all of its old branches after wintering because they had died. I knew it was going to set the tree back with blooming because most of the "Y's" had to be cut. After enduring over a month of temps in the 90's -100's, our temps have finally gone back to normal (it's in the 70's & 80's) & my Brug was finally able to start putting out tiny buds - only to have them dry up & fall off within a matter of days. It's been doing this for the past month & doesn't seem to be letting up.

It was repotted this spring in a 12 gallon pot. I've been feeding it once a week with MG & every 4-5 days after that with Dyna-Gro Liquid Grow 7-9-5. Both are mixed with rainwater. Leaves are lush & green but I noticed there's some mite damage going on now since the humidity dropped. Can that be causing the problems with the tiny buds shriveling up? I had mite issues last year too but it didn't prevent this Brug from producing buds & them maturing into blossoms. Hmmm...

It's funny but last year when I first got this tree, I had no idea what I was doing with it. I simply winged it & my plant grew & bloomed. It was put in organic garden soil in a pot & fed only MG & fish/seaweed emulsion once a week. It took off with no real issues that would impede its growth. This year I tried going by the book so to speak & have had nothing but problems. This Brug has grown back its branches & leafed out, but for some reason this year it can't grow its buds out without them shriveling up before they even get a chance to mature.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH