SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clarescifi

Shriveled Bud on Amaryllis?

clarescifi
14 years ago

I have several amaryllises growing inside on a windowsill and most have sent up nice flower stalks with healthy buds, and one has already bloomed beautifully, with 2 nice flowers.

One of the yet-to-bloom amaryllises had a healthy-looking bud on it, but today I noticed it has gone all shriveledy. And the leaves on that plant have gone floppy. The foliage is about 12" tall.

Another one has leaves about 16" tall that have gone floppy. It has never sent up a flower stalk, only the leaves.

I have read that floppy foliage can be caused by lack of sunlight. However all the other amaryllises in the same area look fine and don't have floppy foliage.

These 2 plants that have gone floppy with their foliage have the tallest and most foliage of any of all my amaryllis plants, with the exception of one a friend gave me a year ago that never bloomed and has sent up only one leaf about 30" tall.

I have read that if an amaryllis plant sends up foliage first it is not likely to send up a flower stalk, at least in the first year. It's a sign the bulb is too weak.

But I can't find much about an amaryllis that produces a bud which then goes shriveldy. What do you think the cause of this most likely is? I don't think I have overwatered the pot nor underwatered it. Could someone have left the door open too long, exposing it to a draft, I wonder? It is on the end of the shelf nearest the door, though geraniums in the same area don't appear affected. Is the fact it's sending up so many more leaves and leaves of a taller height than the other amaryllises indicative of something? I checked the bulb of the amaryllis with the shriveldy bud and it appears firm and fine, not rotted, soft, or mushy. The roots look fine, too.

Does anyone know of a yahoo group specifically for amaryllis (hippeastrum) growers that might be able to answer my question?

I bought these bulbs at Rite-Aid. They are Buzzy Growing Kits. Rite-Aid no longer has them in stock. I wonder whether Buzzy might send me replacements for the bad bulbs? Has anyone had a good customer service experience with Buzzy?

Do you think that the amaryllis with the shriveledy bud could send up another strong and healthy bud that could bloom this season? And do you think the amaryllis with the sole leaf of 30" in height might bloom next year, or is the fact it has only one giant leaf a sign of some sort of disease that will keep it from ever blooming?

Thanks for your help.

Clare

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions