SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
createdtocook

Help Me Pick the Perfect Spot to Plant Blueberries

createdtocook
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I really want to grow blueberries in my Southern California Garden. I live about 6 miles from the beach. The spot in the yard where I would like to grow the blueberries in the front yard. It's an area that faces South, so it gets all day direct sun.

I would also like to grow in directly in the ground, but since I keep reading that this is not advised, unless I have
really great acidic soil, I am wondering if I can grow it in a pot set into the ground. So I can get the look of if being
grown in the ground, but can still have some more control of the soil conditions to keep the blueberry plants happy.

My dream is to create a Kitchen Garden, in the front of the house. I want the area to be both beautiful look look at and full of edible plants. I would like to Espalier a Meyer Lemon and a Kishu Mandarine Orange tree against the short wall. In front of the espalier citrus trees, I want to grow blueberries and white iceberg roses, and lots of herbs.

If you have any thoughts, ideas, or plant suggestions, please send them my way. I would love to hear from you all!

I've attached a picture of the area. I know it looks rather sad right now, but that's why I need your help. I want to change that, and make it a happy garden.

Comments (8)