SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manifest_gw

Suggestions for this tricky spot

manifest
10 years ago

We recently had a 2' 1/2" high retaining concrete wall built. We then built a 6' redwood fence on top of it, created a curving bed out of retaining blocks, and put in a paved patio.

We're now ready to plant and the area that we're having trouble planting is where the bed is narrowest. It's only 1' deep to the retaining wall (to the right of where the shovel is in the photo). The footing of the retaining wall only allows for a depth of about 2' in the ground.

In retrospect, we should have built out the narrowest portion of that bed so that it wouldn't be so shallow. But it was a DIY project and by the time we realized the tricky planting problem, we were too far along to attempt to correct it. Hopefully I can get some great ideas from the experienced gardeners.

I'd love some suggestions for Mediterranean/drought tolerant perennials or some tidy climbers to obscure the block wall. I currently have some Muhly grasses, Euphorbia 'Blackbird' and Lotus maculatus as groundcover planted in the rest of the bed. The area gets morning to midday sun and then is in shadow after 2 pm.

Comments (14)