SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venusflower67

Q from a beginner succulent grower in Oz!

Venusflower67
11 years ago

Hi

I recently moved into a new rental to find in the backyard, what I have self identified as being a type of Aeonium (I admit this is only a very uneducated guess from pics I have googled!).

My question regarding this particular succulent (one of a few in my new garden) is would it be beneficial for me to prune this rather outgrown plant at all (we are in autumn). There are several stems with extremely small, crowded clusters at the end of them, and the plant itself is looking a bit 'sparse', rather than having closer knit heads on the top. As a result, quite a lot of the stem is visible among the greenery of the plant and the foliage itself isn't looking the best either.

If it would benefit from pruning, what is the best way to go about it? I am most tempted to chop the whole thing off from just above the lowest 'head' beginning to grow just above the ground and do away with the rest and reshape the whole plant again? Any thoughts? I've not had any succulents before, except for some Indian Rope in a hanging basket.

Thanks

Marianne :)

Comments (7)