SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19697163

Gimme an A! Gimme aâ¦Beginner's Tutorial on Jade Pruning? Please

User
10 years ago

Greetings and Salutations!

I am new to the forum and a beginner at working with plants. I purchased a $4-ish jade plant at LoweâÂÂs back at the end of April (actually, the 11 oz container had 7 plants in it). I have repotted it (one separately and the rest together) and it is doing marvelously. It has grown 1 inch over the last 2 and a half months (soil to top ~4.5 inches). All of that growth has been vertical (makes me think of bamboo when I look at it over breakfast actually). IâÂÂve read on eHow and About.com on ways to make it branch out but decided to turn to the forum for more guided instruction.

{{gwi:592715}}

IâÂÂve seen wonderful pictures of jades on this forum and great instructions on pruning; however, it has always been for older and larger plants. I would appreciate any tips or advice people may have for setting my little jades on the path to growing big and strong like their big brothers and sisters IâÂÂve seen here. IâÂÂd especially like to know how to start forming branches and hardening the trunk to make it look woody. IâÂÂm also curious to learn about the differences between pruning stems/leaves and pinching new growth--when to apply each technique and what the effects of each are.

HereâÂÂs a picture blurrily focused on one plant if anyone might be willing to offer suggestions of cuts to make and what results they would lead to. It actually has a split trunk at the base.

{{gwi:592716}}

As a side query, I currently have the 6 plant group in a plastic pot with Miracle Grow Cactus and Succulent mixand would like to transplant it to a clay pot with AlâÂÂs 1:1:1 mix. IâÂÂve had to keep it indoors this summer because weâÂÂve gotten a ton of rain and I was worried it was too much. What are the ramifications of repotting at a time other than the ideal spring/fall? If it is ok to repot now, how would that affect what and when I work with pruning, etc?

IâÂÂd appreciate any feedback and suggestions that anyone may have and hope this will be a useful post for other beginners as well!

Many thanks,

Nathan

Comments (18)