SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyhartshorne

An introduction, and a beginner's succulent garden

happyhartshorne
13 years ago

IÂve been lurking here for weeks and have only just started posting. I wanted to introduce myself a little bit and share my experiences and some pictures of my succulent garden. I donÂt pretend that my garden is anything special or inspirational, but it was really helpful for me to see pictures of other peopleÂs plants and arrangements when thinking about what I wanted to grow.

First a little history: When I moved into my current apartment, I was so excited to have a terrace. I had tried growing a variety of plants out here, but the only ones that thrived were succulents. Everything else died of windburn and dehydration, even with twice-a-day watering.

Most of these plants are "rescues" from the local Big Orange. A few are from one of the local independent garden centers (which shall remain nameless because it insists on selling succulents potted in pure peat!).

IÂm not great at growing any of this stuff yet. (Notice the aloe that is still recovering from a potting misadventure.) Still have a lot to learn. For starters, IÂve repotted 3/4 of these plants 3 times during the course of the summer. First when they came home they went into MG cactus soil. Oh boy, big mistake, right?

Then, for some reason, with beginnerÂs "I read one post so now I know what to do. . . ." I repotted them all again into a mix with a lot coarse sand mixed in. Also bad bad bad.

Finally, out of desperation, I read EVERY ONE of the posts on AlÂs Gritty Mix. I had discounted it at first because it seemed like too much work. And yes, it really was a PITA to find all of the ingredients. Everything is much happier in the gritty mix, though. Some of them didn't make it and are now with the Master Gardener in the Sky.

The two empty planters are awaiting some cuttings of opuntia pads. (Please donÂt tell me itÂs too late to root opuntia; IÂm just going to have to find out on my own. . . . ;-) )

So thatÂs my lengthy introduction. Please tell me what IÂm doing thatÂs grievously wrong. And feel free to make fun of my stark white top dressing. (I bought a 50# bag of gravel that was the wrong size for the gritty mix. BeginnerÂs error. I used some of it for the gritty mix anyway, as an especially well-draining combination, and the rest IÂm using as top dressing. I figure in the winter it will help reflect light from the miserable window and keep the area around the plants a little bit brighter.)

{{gwi:650418}} {{gwi:650419}} {{gwi:650422}} {{gwi:650427}}

Comments (8)