SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canicci

Tall, fast growing for shade

canicci
16 years ago

Along our cinder block fence with neigbhours we have 2 Birds of Paradise palms, and we had a honeysuckle that grew to 15' feet. Planted by previous owner. I removed the honeysuckle as it was causing problems for us and into the neighbours tree. The problem is that it provided shade in summer for our paved seating area. We also want to remove the birds of paradise palms and some tree ferns and replace with something else that will give us 15' height and provide shade. From the fence to the paved area we have 4-7' depth and 15' long of space. Buried underneath the ferns etc are other plants, I'll probably only keep the one small camelia, that's getting choked out. The back yard is small, so I was looking for something tall along the fence and then smaller plantings towards the paved area. Currently the seating area has a hemmed in feeling - too many big plantings around it. Back part of the yard is cottage garden, and then there's this tropical area of tree ferns/birds of paradise. Also have small child and dog - so can't be poisonous or thorns. Live in Glendale. Husband wants fast growing so don't have too many years of non-shade.

Some ideas we have - clumping bamboo - husband is worried how it will look with camelia etc in front of that

Trellis with vine - but don't want anything like the honeysuckle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comment (1)