SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgmodlin

Central Texas tall shade tree - fast growth

jgmodlin
10 years ago

For a new home I have purchased I am interested in planting a tree in the front yard that will give me some needed shade from the southern exposure. The soil is pretty alkaline and rocky with limestone caliche about a foot down. I do have an irrigation system to augment the 30 inches of rain we get in San Antonio.

I don't want a trash tree but I do want to have something that will get some size in the next ten years or so. I also would like a tree that grows tall, a lot of the trees here in central Texas seem pretty scrubby and stunted in height. Fall color would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary. The most common trees planted by landscapers are Cedar Elm, Red Oak, Live Oak, and Monterrey Oaks. I would prefer to have something other than those so as to break up the monotony of the same trees in my subdivision.

I have thought about Mexican Sycamore or Pecan. Being a member of the Hickory family I wasn't sure if Pecan might be too slow. I have seen some pretty big ones that looked to have been planted not so long ago. I am also interested in the Bigtooth Maple which grows naturally in the Hill Country nearby. However, I worry that it may be a slow grower and am not sure if it will get a lot of height either. The Mexican Sycamore looks like it may be a pretty good bet to grow quickly and get pretty tall.

Are there any other trees that i should consider that will be different than the usual suspects here, fast growers, and eventually grow tall?

Comments (9)