SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_wes

Need advice on Camellia sinensis

organic_wes
17 years ago

Hello,

I need help from someone with experience growing a Camellia sinensis. The variety I have is called Blushing Maiden and has a light pink flower. I am in the process of "killing" the second one I have owned. It is in a pot (pot size is approx. 18"x18") and the plant itself is about 18 inches high. It has great soil, great drainage and full sun. The soil has been allowed to dry a bit then rewatered. I moved the pot a few feet yesterday and many of the leaves, including many green and otherwise healthy looking, fell off. Now today more leaves have fallen off although it does look like there is some small fresh growth at the tips. I had one of this same variety and it died when I brought it indoors last winter. I bought another one this spring but it doesn't seem to be thriving. What are the optimum parameters that this plant would grow in (soil ph, water amounts, sunlight, fertilizer, etc)? Are there other varieties of the C. sinensis (I want it for green tea leaves) that would be hardy outdoors in Indiana (border of zone 5 and 6)? Thanks for any help you can give me. -Wes

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions