SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Help, my garden looks awful

Tmnca
10 years ago

In spring 2012 we bought this townhouse and it's the first time as an adult I've had my very own soil to garden. I enthusiastically planted the low water use plants I love - lavender (pinata which is a jagged lavender), bush germander, sages. They looked absolutely beautiful last year all spring and summer. I pruned the lavender back gently a few times.

By fall, the lavender and germander had gotten a bit out of control, and the lavender was falling open onto the pathway. I did a major pruning on them, and then the next week we had a frost! Much of the lavender turned black, and some of the other plants don't look so good either. The germander is thriving, but it's becoming a bit large for the side of the pathway.

This front entry gets a lot of hot direct sun in summer from 11am-sunset, and the walls trap the heat so plants need to be very heat tolerant, and the soil is clay and compacted which I have tried to address with aeration and soil additives.

Can I salvage these plants to look more like they did last year or should I rip some or all out and start with different plants?

In Sept 2012 after about 2 months growth.
{{gwi:521033}}

March 2013
{{gwi:521034}}

April 2013
{{gwi:521035}}

{{gwi:521036}}

{{gwi:521037}}

NOW, March 2014 after severe pruning in fall, then frost damage, I left them alone until last weekend I removed most of the dead parts of the lavender leaving it misshapen and sad :( See one plant is mostly dead in the left foreground of one pic.

Can I salvage this and if so, HOW do I prune to shape these plants without killing them?

{{gwi:521038}}

{{gwi:521039}}

{{gwi:521040}}

This post was edited by tinan on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 16:54

Comments (11)