SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattysheehan

Camellia Dying?

pattysheehan
10 years ago

My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden cover material. I took the cover off the other day and the leaves are in various stages of looking bad...some are brown, some are yellow, some are very light, almost silvery green. They are curled up and very dry. The leaves closer to the house side of the bush look a little better...they are more of a deep green and don't feel as dry, although they are curled.

It is planted up against the corner of the house, southern exposure. The lower third of the bush is protected by a retaining wall on one side and a fence on the other so it sort of sits in the corner of where these 2 meet. It's about 10-12 feet tall. We have owned the for 20 years and it was here when we bought, and at the time it was probably about 6-8 feet tall. We are guessing it could be 30-40 years old. We know it's at least 20.

We have had an exceptionally cold winter here, with snow and "polar vortex" temperatures for extended periods of time, but I had hoped that by covering it, it would be OK. It was covered from December through March 18.

We did use the same white cover last year, and when we uncovered the camellia last Spring it was fine, so I don't think it had anything to do with the density of the cover. The cover does bunch up around the base of the bush some, but again, it did the same thing last year with no problem.

I did put some Hollytone on it when I uncovered it and watered it in well, but I don't know if I should continue to water daily, or would that be too much water?

I know it sounds silly but I'm kind of attached to this bush, and it makes me sad to see it looking so sickly, because it has been such a vibrant beautiful bush for so many years.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
More Discussions