SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Classic California plants that will do well in small containers?

artemis78
14 years ago

I'm hunting for some California or West Coast natives (or even just plants associated with this area) that will grow well in small containers.

We're getting married at the end of June, and are hoping to do live centerpieces using Mason jars filled with soil; I can either grow plants in our garden and transplant them, or (probably a better plan!) grow them directly in the jars. (I'm thinking quart jars, but can go smaller or larger as needed.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on plants that might do well in a situation like this and also be decorative? I'd initially thought poppies or other wildflowers, but have read that they can be tricky to grow in pots. Strawberries are another possibility, but not sure if they can get themselves established enough if I get bare root plants now---seems like the ones we have in large pots in the yard took a good season or two to get going.

Would love other suggestions---I would be planting seeds or starts sometime this spring (could be as early as next week, but can also wait longer) and would want to have the plants at their peak at the end of June. Edibles are a plus but not a requirement. (Oh, and we're in the Bay Area, in case that affects anything.)

Thanks!!

Comments (9)