SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorrifreitas

Tall skinny shrub/sm tree for Shade?

Lorri
18 years ago

We pruned a branch of our big Pacific Wax Myrtle that was leaning on the fence & now we have a large ugly hole in the foliage with a, *gasp*, view of the neighbors. Please help me find something to close the gap.

The spot is along the fence, in a raised bed 3-4' wide that runs the length of the lot, east to west. It is shaded by a large Modesto Ash to the east of the spot and the PWM on the west. It might get a few minutes of direct sun at noon in summer but not winter. The soil's not great but it is on a slope so drainage is pretty good. It isn't too hard to keep some moisture in the soil because of the shade. We are inland San Diego (Spring Valley).

The plant needs to be at least 7-8' tall and no wider than 3-4'. At first I thought maybe a small Japanses Maple- they are so beautiful, but I wonder how it would do. I don't want a crackly leaved plant in the summer, plus it is deciduous, so the gap would be there in the winter. Maybe a camellia? Is that too much shade for a camellia? Or what about an oakleaf hydrangea? I'd like something with distictive bright foliage (to lighten the dark area) and/or pretty flowers, that is mostly vertical to cover the gap.

Ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lorri

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting