SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_in_texas

Help me make DH happy, beginner to succulents

new_in_texas
17 years ago

He listens to me blather on about flowers and what not, now it's time to get his hands a little dirty.

He likes Succulents + We have a "container" that needs something in it = me not knowing what to do. His garden will be from whatever he likes at the big box stores for now, just to get him started and to see how keen he is with it.

We have an old, metal of some type, smoker/cooker that is too heavy to be moved so this will be his "container". I just measured the part that will be planted in and it's 6"h x 26"w x 18"d.

I will line the bottom with rocks as it's a grill and the soil will fall through. This also means that it is well draining.

Question 1: will planting in a metal container be harmful?

We're in zone 7 or 8, depending on what zonemap you use, west central TX.

Question 2: Will these have to overwinter some where warmer? Since the smoker can't be moved, should I scrounge up a styrofoam fish box or something similar to move them inside?

In the shed I have Sta Green brand bags of perlite, peat & horticulture grade vermiculite. I'm not sure why I have these, must've been a binge buy. I'm also not sure if I can use any of this...

Question 3: What do we need to get to plant his garden in? Box store suggestions only please. Please don't tell me to do a search for soil mix, I've done that and all the suggestions have only created more questions.

The container is in full sun

Question 4: He likes ones with weird shapes & textures he also tends to name them, any suggestions on what he should get to start his garden and keep him happy?

I think I've covered all my immediate questions, thank you for your patience.

Comments (2)