SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cali_gardener

Planting Different Fruit trees--worried about Soil pH

cali_gardener
18 years ago

OK, so I'm writing this without having done a pH test on my soil, but living on the San Diego coast, I'm assuming alkaline. I'll do a test this afternoon to know better....

I'm planning on planting a mango (likes pH 6-7), loquat(doesn't care about pH), wax jambu (doesn't care), quince (6-7), weeping mulberry (doesn't care) and a couple of Tabebuias (pH 6-7.5) all in the same area of my garden. OK, so all are slightly acidic/neutral, and I've started amending the soil with a little peat and lots of compost.

My Question/concern: I ALSO want to plant 3 blueberry bushes (which I already have--2 warm-climate varieties) in the same plot, right in the middle, and my understanding is that they require a pH of 4-5 to survive and thrive.

Is there a way for this to work without resorting to raised beds for the blueberries? Can I just treat the blueberries with acidic fertilizer and sulfur to keep their little central area of the plot more acidic? Or am I heading down a futile road? Please advise. Do blueberries work in Southern California???

My young children LOVE bluebrries and I'd love to be able to have this for them.

Thanks so much for any suggestions you may have!

Deana

Comments (6)