SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanda_gw

Thriving and Surviving Plants

wanda
17 years ago

Okay....since we have interest, let's list plants that are more or less thumbing their nose at our recent freezing temps and strutting their hardiness.

There's a zillion commonly hardy plants out there (conifers, many broadleaved shrubs, deciduous trees and perennials, etc), so I'll start by listing those "marginal" plants that seem to be shaking off the cold in my yard that I had wondered about. Nothing was covered or given any kind of protection.

So far, these plants don't seem phased at all.....

Azara microphylla (regular and variegated)

Azara dentata

Aloe vanbelenii

Aloe striata

Aloe saponaria

Gold tooth Aloe

about 10 other Aloes whose spp. escapes me at the moment

Kniphofia 'Christmas Cheer'

Kniphofia rooperii

Manfreda 'Mucho Mocha'

Dudleyas (several spp. all CA native)

Echeverias (several spp., incl. imbricata...all planted in ground)

Agave geminiflora

Agave bracteosa (sp?)

Aeoniums (several spp., although I did cover 'Zwartkopf')

Salvia 'Indigo Spires'

Salvia gesneriflora

Acanthus mollis (Bear's Breech)

Euphorbia 'Tasmanian Tiger'

Woodwardia fimbriata (Giant Chain Fern...CA native)

Epiphyllums

Dianella tasmanica variegata

Clivia miniata

Ligularia (gigantea and tussilagenea)

EXPECTED HARDY PLANTS IN MY YARD

Prunus caroliniana

Primrose

Violas

Cyclamen

All the CA natives (Toyon, Ribes, Garrya, Carpenteria, Salvia clevelandii/'Gracias'/Celestial Blue/munzii, CA poppies, Tidy Tips, Eriogonums, Ceanothus, wooly blue curls, manznitas, Deer Grass (Muhlenbergia rigens)...to list a few of the more common ones)

Camellias

Rhododendrons

Oak Leaf Hydrangea

Daphnes

Rosemary

Meyer's Fern

Roses

Hellebores

Dodonea (purple hopseed)

Arbutus

Stipa arundinacea

Okay....I'm tired of thinking.

Next........

Comments (32)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Your epiphyllums are okay? I left some out on the south side of my house under a sheet and some of them went a little mushy so I brought them in.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

My list is pitifully short.
    Not covered and fine:
    Coastal Redwood 6' tall planted in Oct, 4 other new trees all dormant and unknown at this time.
    English Lavender (only flowers drooped over, plant is fine)
    Spanish Lavender
    Trailing Gardenia (mini gardenia and is planted supposed to be hardy to 10 degrees)

Singed and hanging in there
    Dwarf agapanthus
    Silver Lace Society Garlic

questionable:
    purple fountain grass, still have a little green inside at the bottom of the four plants

I said pathetic small list. So I will add what I have covered up and believe will make it.
    1. All my roses, not necessary probably, but determined not to loose at least half my investment, 30 plants, from last summer.
    2. 3 Azaleas
    3. 4 Butterfly bushes, maybe, half dead, made it through the first freeze though
    4. 2 Austrailian Tree Ferns
    5. 1 Bouganvilla I forgot to cover for the 1st two days because I forgot about it on the side of the house.

The rest are all extreme double toasted now with this second freeze, I don't this they will come back in the spring. I know wait and see but I have these huge gaps all over, not lumps they didn't melt down just fried and disintergrated.

Thanks, Wanda, I'll be watching this thread and making notes when this is all over and come spring making a list carefully and looking up what will work for me here in the central valley both with the cold and the heat I get in the summer. I'm not replacing anything in my yard that died with the same thing, one chance is all that one got:) I always had second thoughts about the 4 crepe mrytles I had anyways. They went in the first freeze.
    Leslie

• Related Discussions

~What will Thrive and Survive and my hanging Baskets?~

Q

Comments (3)
    Sweet potato vines did fine in a full sun whiskey barrel last year. They did so well they actually gave gaillardia some serious competition as they duked it out for space. I also had some wave petunias in full sun hanging baskets and they seemed to love it as well, although you might wish to give them a trim every now and then to avoid their tendency to get bare in the middle when really long if they will be at or below eye level.
    ...See More

? to do if rose plant is thriving on suckers

Q

Comments (3)
    Grandma, it's getting awfully late in the season to plant anything new. For one thing, most nurseries won't have any selection left. For another the rose may not have adequate time to settle in before cold weather comes. Wait until next spring and pick out a rose you love to replace this one with. You can look for something that grows on it's own roots, so you won't have the root stock growing problem, or you can still get a grafted rose but plant that graft a good 4 or 5 inches below the soil to protect it from winter freezing. It still isn't fool proof but it will help for most winters. Jeri is right. What you probably have is a HYBRID TEA not a TEA rose. They are very different and in your zone 5 a real TEA rose has NO chance of surviving your winters. They are extremely winter tender. But there are many HYBRID TEA roses that can survive a zone 5 winter if planted correctly. My suggestion is to look for some of the older varieties that have stood the test of time. They're still around for many reasons and one of them is that they are hardier then people think they are.
    ...See More

Plant that thrives in high temperature and humidity?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have Scindapsus growing in the garden, it does run a bit. In those ideal conditions you might be pruning it often. But there are lots of mosses, Selaginellas and small ferns that thrive in those conditions, just don't know where in the UK you'd be able to get them. I'd assume places that deal with terrariums would have or know where to get them. Also people dealing in carnivorous plants might have access as well. Many of those plants are kept in terrariums as well but people also like to mix in some others for effect. A lot of your "usual" tropical plants would just grow too big too fast. I wouldn't recommend Golden Pothos (which is actually an Epipremnum and not a Pothos). They run rampant in no time. Pothos longipes (a true Pothos) would probably work, but again where to get that in the UK.
    ...See More

How to make propagated stems into thriving plants?

Q

Comments (13)
    Your roses will be "bald" for a little while, until they put out new growth, which they will. I would not use nail polish to seal the cuts. I'm not sure if it might be toxic to the plant and cause some die back. If you want to seal the cuts, just drip candle wax on them when the sun isn't shining on the stems. Any time the sun shines on them, the sap flows stronger. If you can seal them when they are shaded and the temps cooler, the sap isn't flowing as strongly and they will seal faster and easier. When I cut the root stocks back on my newly budded plants this summer, I had some "bleeding" issues. I tried Elmer's Glue, which is water soluble and non toxic, but the sap flowed too strongly and washed the glue off. If yours aren't flowing that strongly, Elmer's might suffice. If it doesn't, then candle wax works perfectly. It isn't so hot it burns or kills the tissues and it is non toxic. Sealing the cuts to prevent any sap loss (bleeding), helps push new growth faster due to the higher sap pressure. The Old Garden Rose types you should probably look at for your climate are Teas, Chinas, perhaps Noisettes, as they are more "tropical" than HTs and floribundas. I don't know what the issues might be bringing them into Hawaii, but if you can find growers who are willing to ship there and the transportation costs aren't outrageous, you might find them suited to the climate and enjoy their looks and performance in your garden. Good luck! Kim
    ...See More
  • bfreeman_sunset20
    17 years ago

I think any tree that goes dormant in winter will be absolutely fine with the cold. I still think your crape myrtles will be fine, they should survive close to 0 F.

• napapen
    17 years ago

Crape Myrtles and butterfly bushes will be fine if in the ground. Lily of Nile will come through fine.

Penny

• wanda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep, Heathen, so far all my epis (about 30) are doing just fine. Some are even just starts in 4" pots, while others are huge and several years old. I do keep them fairly dry. Did you water yours?

Leslie, the purple fountain grass normally goes deciduous in winter. Cut it back to about 1' in early spring. It should be fine.
    Likewise......roses, butterfly bushes, and azaleas are cold hardy too. Actually, you should strip your roses this month and prune them back. I started stripping mine this past weekend.
    Some spp. of Azaleas (reading another of your posts under the freeze warning) do get colored leaves in winter. Girards Hot Shot has beautiful red/purple foliage this time of year. Most can take temps down to 20 with no problem.

So.......let's have some more lists of what plants are sailing through

wanda

• jdiaz31089
    17 years ago

okay, heres whats thiving:
    callistemon (bottlebrush)
    Camellias
    canary island date palm
    washingtonia robusta
    bauhinia yunanensis vine
    bauhinia acuminata
    freesias

heres whats NOT thriving :(
    nine diff. citrics
    calla lilies (they were really huge clumps and will re-sprout, but they are all mushy for now)
    amaryllis (a large clump of each red, pink and white)
    princess flower (tibouchina urvillea)
    hibiscus rosa-sinensis
    dwarf black tree fern
    giant australian tree-fern
    fuchsias
    spathyphyllum (peace lilies -all black now)
    banana leaf ficus
    seveal diff canna varieties
    clerodendrum ugandense
    royal poinciana
    plumbago
    cape honeysuckle (the red and yellow varieties)
    kalanchoe (christmas flowering ones)
    and the list goes on and on.

• slaggyc
    17 years ago

I've been so obsessed protecting my citrus, I forgot about my poor potted hibiscus. Not doing well. It's been brought in, but possibly too late. Singed, droopy and getting worse each day.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Ok, I'll stick with a) only what I could bear looking at yesterday, and b) only what doesn't look like caca. Oh, and c) only plants in the ground, since most of the potted ones aren't pretty right now. Many of these are obvious winners.

Aesculus californica
    Agapanthus praecox ssp. orientalis 'Blue Storm'
    Amaryllis belladonna
    Aucuba japonica
    Buddleja davidii 'Black Knight'
    Carex albula
    Chrysanthemum x morifolium
    Cistus ladanifer
    C. x 'Sunset'
    Coleonema pulchrum
    Cyclamen persicum 'Sierra White'
    Cyrtomium falcatum
    Diascia hybrid 'Coral Belle'
    Digitalis purpurea
    Dryopteris erythrosora
    Erysimum 'Apricot Twist'
    Eschscholzia californica
    Hebe 'Champagne'
    Heuchera 'Dolce Peach Melba'
    Jasminum angulare
    J. polyanthum
    Lamium galeobdolon montanum 'Florentinum'
    Lampranthus spectabilis
    Lavandula dentata
    L. x intermedia 'Walvera'/'Silver Edge'
    Lupinus albifrons
    Mentha x piperita
    Monarda didyma 'Petite Delight'
    Muhlenbergia dumosa
    M. rigens
    Nemesia caerulea 'Blue Bird' (blooming!)
    Osteospermum fruticosum (blooming!)
    Pelargonium x hortorum
    Penstemon x gloxinioides 'Garnet'
    Phlomis russeliana
    Salvia chamaedryoides
    S. clevelandii 'Allen Chickering'
    S. greggii (all 3)
    S. x jamensis (all 3)
    S. microphylla 'San Carlos Festival'
    S. nemorosa 'Caradonna'
    S. 'Nuevo Leon'
    Scabiosa columbaria 'Butterfly Blue'
    Trachelospermum jasminoides
    Tulbaghia violacea 'Silver Lace'
    Viola x wittrockiana 'Majestic Giants II Ocean'

I'm not giving up on the ones that look terrible, though. I'm in good company. :)

Brenda

• jakkom
    17 years ago

OK, now I feel better about my garden. Thanks, everyone!

Most stuff is doing okay, but the CA fuschia and tibouchinas are pretty much toast for now. I'm crossing my fingers on my Meyers, they're a couple of feet off the ground so should be OK for now. Supposed to warm up starting tomorrow, thank goodness.

• deep___roots
    17 years ago

Only one bad, by me, so far.
    I forgot to cover my Aus. Tree Fern. It got singed, but it is in a somewhat protected location and supposedly it can tolerate 20...so hopefully it will return.

My orange trees in the open are old & tuff. They look okay. The fruit looks okay on the outside. Inside might be another story. My mandarin orange is up against the house. It is fine (and loaded with fruit) as are my meyer lemons (under a big old oak tree).

Epiphyllums are okay. I think some handle cold better than others.

My Giant Bird of Paradise looks like it wishes it were in paradise...it looks beat down...but I doubt it is dead.

My only other concern is some of my salvias. I would not like to lose some of these. They look...poorly at the moment (if you classify an ashen-gray color as poorly), but I hope they will come back from the roots.

It was 22 on Saturday morning at 7:30 am. Today it was 26. Trend is upward.

• denisez10
    17 years ago

My list of survivors pretty much mimics Wanda's. Agaves, dudleyas, aloes, echevarias, aeonium, senecio, kalanchoes, pittosporum, coprosma, etc., all fine. What has been damaged, crisped are Oxalis vulcanicola, red and chartreuse cultivars, which I was really enjoying this winter, and a couple plectranthus. Salvia vanhouttii 'Paul' has all top growth killed off and may not return. Acanthus 'Hollard's Gold' has some killed-off leaves but many more that are OK. Strangely enough, I've got a noisette climber 'Elie Beauvillain' in a serious flush of bloom, budding in Dec. and opening up in the 80 deg temps we had last week but doing fine with the low night temps too. Phygelius are OK, Euphorbia mellifera, myrsinites OK. Eight-foot tree of Euphorbia cotinifolia is fine. Large Salvia chiapensis OK. Salvia buchanii is fine, ditto Salvia 'Rosalita.' Small newly planted dierama is OK. Verbascum undulatum is fine. Daphne odora in pot OK. I've noticed the bloom colors on linaria and violas are incredibly intense now. Tired of looking at the mushy growth I've left on for further protection and ready to clear and move on!

• mamamia
    17 years ago

Wow! You're in zone 9 and salvia gesneriflora is thriving? Mine is so dead. We are listed as zone 9a on USDA, but I think we're really an 8a. But I have several plants thriving because I planted for these occasional freezes. Thriving plants include Rhamnus Californica 'Mound San Bruno' (great shrub), Grevillea rosmarinifola, Ceanothus thyrsiflorus "sky blue", Salvia clevelandii 'winifred gilman', Santa Barbara daisies, Echium fastuosum, and the best yet, Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum' which is still blooming it's marvelous blue flowers through a couple of evenings in the low 20's. I highly recommend this one. Feel really bad for the citrus growers though.

• wanda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, so far, so good with the gesneriflora. It's planted in a fairly protected area with a 6' fence on one side, a shed on the other and a green house about 5' in front of it.
    One side has an ulmus parviflora and a 12' Ligustrum (privet tree) on the other side. Plus my compost pile is nearby. Some of the flower stalks are a little droopy, but the ones blooming seem to be fine.

Believe it or not, I walked around this morning and I've got a Clematis seiboldii florida with an open bloom!!!!! I think this plant is really confused!
    Some of the blooms on the cymbidiums were toasted this morning and they are under a covered patio. The foliage looks ok.
    My Oxalis vulcanicola melted too.

wanda

• mamamia
    17 years ago

I love clematis, but it fries here in the valley. Even in a semi shaded area it just turns to toast. If you have a picture of the gesneriflora in bloom, please post it. I'd love to see it.

• slave2thefur
    17 years ago

This is the third night of a freeze, but since I'm on top of a hill, most of the cold air slides down. Even still, I expected to see a little yellow bird playing ice hockey on the bird bath! Salvias, native did great, Aussie/SA drought tolerants such as leucospermum, leucodendron, protea, isopogon - no problems. Bananas, thin leaved crinum and iochroma are unhappy, but will survive. Amazingly, my tomato 'glacier' is still going strong, but 'taxi' is looking out of service. =^,,^=

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I did a walk-about yesterday. i am surprised at the damage to the Salvias; but then, they were due to be heavily pruned in February anyway...... I doubt that any are truly dead down into the roots. The citrus leaves seem to be damaged, except for what was protected only by a light tenting of crop-cover cloth... perhaps less is more.

What really surprised me was the amount of damage being done by the ever-industrious gophers.

And, another discovery, one of the Agave americana, aka Century Plant, is putting up a BIG central spike. I wonder how this cold weather is affecting it.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Westelle the growers were concerned about their trees after they gave up on the fruit, your trees seem to be ok then? I'm sorry about the leaves, I hope less is more for you. On your Century Plant is the central spike where the flowers grow? I had been reading about that one and was curious.

After reading about everyone's Salvia's I'm adding that one to my list for spring purchases. If the bouganvilla doesn't make it I was going for a clematis next in that location for spring. It's on the side of my house where my living room window looks directly into my neighbor's house and fence. I'd rather look at a large flowering plant. If that won't work I'll go ahead and plant a mini climber there. Anything but seeing fence and the neighbor's house and they can see in my house through that window also. That's a nice little micro pocket West side there with 5' between the 6' tall fence and my house and the fence and the neighbor's house. We used the option to move the house over so that the house sits 10' over on the other side.

I'm taking out the Western Garden Book and looking up alot of plants when you all are through listing your survivors and no contest for the ones that are in and near the valley.

• debbieca
    17 years ago

The things that came through unfazed and surprised me, are watsonia, phormium, trachelium, and even more surprising, alstromeria psitticina. Geum, wallflower and a forgotten verbena bonairensis are also just fine. The one that is looking best is lychnis coronaria. The felty grey leaves look so pretty with all the goldy brown leaves on the ground. We had record cold over the weekend.

• lusty
    17 years ago

I'm surprised all of you had no problems with your duddleyas. My poor little guy ended up with black tips on the first night :-( He's been inside since then.

• tri_guy
    17 years ago

Hi,

I'm near the coast in Los Angeles and although the weather channel claims our lows never dipped below 34 this last week, the Spanish fountain in my front yard has had about a 1/4 inch of ice every morning since last Friday.

Here's what I lost (although I don't know some of the correct names for these). These were all in the ground, as the containers were sheltered:

Aloe Vera (3 very large specimens with flower stalks) were completely obliterated. Ficus (nitida?) shrubs, the top 1/3 completely brown, wilted, and shedding. Agave (the light green with soft thin leaves) withered. Jade- flowers turned brown and are falling. Coleus plants are withered and fallen.

Other aloe and agave species seem to be doing okay so far. Echiverias and most other succulents seem to be okay. Ice plants and creeping thyme seem to be unfazed. Cameilas are thriving. Honeysuckle (orange) seems to be fine. Princess flower may be okay. Avocado, Orange, and Lemon seem okay, but might need another week or so to know for sure.

Anyone have any advice for the ficus? Should I just let them recover on their own?

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

lesdvs: The Agave americana - the Century Plant -- gets a hugely tall flower spike --- like 10-15' --- then dies. It doesn't really take a century to bloom, but the plants are older... mine have been in the ground HERE 10 years, and they were already pretty big when planted. I guess each huge "leaf" must be about 5-6' tall (long). I'll try to post a picture later.

• wanda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mamamia, I spoke too soon. The S. gesneriflora was doing great, but this morning, it looked a little sad, but I think it will be fine. The top is really burned bad, but the bottom is okay.

I uploaded some pics of damage and "un-damage" (if you will...LOL) to my picasa web album. I took all of these pics this morning. I hope you can see them. I just see blank boxes unless I click on each gray square. I'm new to this album.

Lusty, all my Dudleyas are doing great. Most are planted in the front yard. Sounds like your's was in a pot?

Leslie, As much as I love Clematis, it may not be the plant you want for that location, as most are deciduous and wouldn't offer any screening in winter. you could plant something like Hardenbergia (evergreen, winter flowering vine) or Star Jasmine and run a Clematis through it for summer flowers. A group 3, such as one of the viticellas (also easier to grow). Venosa Violacea is one of my favorites.

wanda

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeze at Wandaworld

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Westelle, I'd like to see that photo, thanks!

Wanda, I've been looking at photos of clematis winding around with climbing roses and got that idea. Didn't realize they weren't an evergreen, hadn't gotten that far in my planning yet, thanks. I am so used to plants that do die back in the winter. Lowe's, HD etc are like candy stores to me and alot of times the info is not complete especially zone info and I thought I plotted carefully for what I did put in the yard. I was thinking dips below 32 and primarily how hot summer is here, had no idea we were going to have two weeks straight so far below freezing. BTW they were 2 degrees off last night, it was 26 not 28 and when I got up at 8am the back yard temp said it was 24 and from the frost on the ground I believe that one! I'll look up the ones you're advising on with the exception of Star Jasmine. I really love the smell of the flowers and love it in someone else's yard:) I would have thought that the way your back yard is enclosed your plants would have made it through better, sorry they didn't, you had some great looking plants, amazing what did survive. What will you do on the others, I know you're waiting for spring, but will you cut them all down or just cut back to where new growth starts on each plant at whatever height that is? Thanks for sharing your photos too. You can't measure in money your time and years in your plants, well you can, they'd be very, very expensive plants.

I forgot my one verbena didn't make it through this freeze and my 8 lantana were toast from the first freeze.

On a bright note I do have bulbs that are growing. I know what I planted but the writing washed off the stakes:) I'm trying to figure out where the crocus' are, in the mountains they'd be growing first by now and blooming soon, here I don't know, it looks like what's coming up now are iris. I planted those two, daffodils and narcissus. So I do have some color to look forward to while waiting to replant in the spring.
    Leslie

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    17 years ago

Thanks for the lists everybody.

I also checked out local nurseries and Lowes to see what is surviving so I don't buy them. I guess there is no way they can't protect them all. It is frustrating to see and what is even worse is they continue to sell stuff that can't tolerate the hot dry wind in summer let along the cold in winter here.

• pbsjones
    17 years ago

Lost the bellfower, not surprised, and the heliotrope, but I'm crossing my fingers for green sprouts in the spring. Two mexican sage (the long, fuzzy flower spikes) I think I'll have to write off. I had cut them back because they were developing mildew, and then brrrrr. Well, I didn't like the placement of one of them anyway....The abutilon spent a couple of nights in the house, and then up against the wall outside, and though it looks a bit dried out, it seems to be fine. The bedding begonias are pudding; I'm looking forward to replacing them with impatiens and alyssum. The johnny-jump-ups are happy as little purple and orange clams and the salvia clevelandii says, "Cold, what cold? We didn't get pruned!" Dianthus, yarrow, rosemary and other herbage are fine, as are the daffodils poking up through them. The lemon tree is happily shielded by a live oak. The greens garden, placed very close to the house, got a little floppy on the first night, but now that they've been spending their nights under a pretty pink sheet, they are happily joining us for salads and stir-fries!

• wanda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually, Leslie, I'm fairly pleased with the way the plants came through and I didn't lose much at all except tender perennials, mostly sold as annuals and possibly the plectranthus, but I'll wait to see if they come back from the roots. Most of the damage was merely foliar which is no biggie or some top/side branches. They'll come back. Which leads me to answer your question. I'll wait til March to cut things like the Salvias, Brugs, Plectranthus, Heliconia, and Banana. The "annuals aka tender perennials" were pulled out this past weekend. I know they're not coming back. These are plants like Salvia splendens, zinnias, impatients, fibrous begonias, etc. Most are sold in 6-packs or 4" pots. I already replaced them with some primroses and pansies I had sitting in my "plant ghetto" waiting for homes. LOL

Often, the labels on the plants at "real" nurseries, rather than the box type stores have the hardiness on the label. Also, check your western sunset book. They'll give you the zone hardiness.

pbsjones, the heliotrope probably won't come back unless it was very, very protected. I consider them one of those "tender perennials" that I grow as an annual. I've had them get really fried in "normal" winter temps unless protected. however, the Salvia may come back. I've had them sprout even when i pulled them up and didn't get all the roots.

looks like we're almost back to normal winter temps. I, for one, sure can't wait til spring!

wanda

• Lydia Lee
    17 years ago

I'm new to this plant, but was delighted that my sedum ogon was happy as a clam during all the cold weather. I've been coaxing it along as a groundcover and its tiny chartreuse leaves have been a cheerful sight in the damp ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:503219}}

• youreit
    17 years ago

Besides my 'Apricot Twist' wallflower, which is blooming its little heart out now just when I need it most...:D...I'd have to say that my Sedums have brought me the most joy of any of my plants throughout the tough freezing temps we had. They are all so pretty right now, with their new growth. This is my first year with them, and I can't wait to get more!

Congrats on your Sedum, Cowper! :)

Brenda

• calpat
    17 years ago

Old Bird of Paradise finally bit the dust, that's o.k. I've been trying to get that huge clump out for 2 years and finally it's gone! Noticed yesterday that the Daylilies have been busy underground and lots of new shoots are appearing. Creeping Thyme is doing fine, spreading as hoped for. Roses looking a bit naked, but o.k. /Camellias, Azaelas are o.k. too. We did have some hard freezes here, but most everything had gone dormant or had been moved inside, so damage was minimal.

• wanda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL, Calpat! I found a few silver linings in the frost too, when it came to "pruning" or "editing". I was finally able to get my Iochroma coccinea pruned down to a manageable size and thinned out. I've been putting off that job for 2 years!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Too funny! The weather did indeed take out most of my Tecoma capensis, which, as some might recall, I'd never pruned. I was promised that someday, I'd eat my words, and sure enough! LOL It got the much-needed pruning, so it's no longer the monster Cape honeysuckle it once was. :D

Same with my chocolate mint Pelargonium and Lantana montevidensis. They shall return, though!

*gulp* It's 5am and 35F....

Brenda

• jakkom
    17 years ago

Update for Presidents Day (well, the week, anyway).

My limoniums gave up the ghost - they probably weren't helped along by a heavy mulch of falling walnut leaves and strangulation by Oxalis pes-caprae, the dreaded Bermuda Buttercup weed.

Through highs and lows, the Rhaphiolepsis indica "Ballerina" continued to bloom like a champ. It's a really amazing, cheap, fast-growing, handsome subshrub that deserves more interest from CA gardeners. The frost withered the blooms on the Loropetalum 'Rubrum' but the plant itself is fine.

I was walking by a neighbor's house on the top of the hill and had to actually stop and admire their gorgeous Cerinthe Major Purpurascens sprawling in their front yard and starting to bloom. I was so jealous, mine never came back! :(